Advice needed 2.0 GHz Macbook or 2.4

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cheep, Dec 8, 2008.

1. cheep macrumors newbie

I am looking to purchase the new aluminum Macbook within the next few days my problem is which model to chose I would be doing basic Photoshop work with a tablet nothing to intense could the 2.0 handle this? Or should I go for the 2.4? Any help would be appreciated

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

3. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

When it comes to photoshop, RAM is much more important than a marginally faster CPU. If you buy the 2.0, you could upgrade the RAM with the money you save and still have $50 to boot. I'm not 100% on this, but I think the 2.4Ghz might be slightly better for gaming.

The only other difference is lack of a backlit keyboard.

It all depends on what you need, what you want, and how much money you have (like most things in life).

4. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I chose the 2.4 because the backlit keyboard is a must for when i'm surfing the web late at night and don't want to have too many lights on in the house disturbing everyone else. The slightly faster processor is nice to have as well.

5. DqP macrumors newbie

choose the 2.4

Easily... pick the 2.4

the $300 difference gets you

- backlit keyboard - may not think much of it but once you have it, it's hard not to have it
    - Faster processor - with the new DDR3 ram, this 2.4 screams, especially if/when you upgrade 4Gb ram. I notice that it's quicker right of the bat with processing photos from my camera or iphone. noticeably faster than my 2.2 MBP
    - larger HD - you can never have enough HD space - 250Gb is a nice size even if you don't upgrade.

i got mine and within a day, added 4Gb + 500Gb drive

My rule, always buy the most computer you can afford at the time you needed it.

Good luck!

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

The 2.0 is the sweet spot as far as price and it will do what you want it to do. IMO the new 2.4 isn't worth the additional $300, because for only $150 more ($1749 at MacMall and MacConnection--no tax also for most) you can get the new 2.4 Macbook Pro and the additional processor speed and backlit keys isn't worth the additional money IMO (you can upgrade the HD for less than $100 for a real good one--very cheap upgrade).

Whatever you choose will be awesome though.

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

As I posted in another thread ---

But for the OP, I say go for the 2.0. Depending on what you need it for, the extra cash just won't be worth the difference, IMO.

Things that take 0.01% longer to do (CPU)
    Space you may not use (HDD)
    possibly unnecessary function (keyboard)

Is that worth the extra $$$ to you?

8. cheep thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the quick replies I was planning on doing the 4gig ram upgrade and 500gig hardrive right away if I went with the 2.0…If I went with the 2.4 I would have to wait a little bit to do the upgrade….one side note there a any 1 terabyte drives available?

9. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

No TB drives available yet in this form factor at this point.

If you are going to upgrade the RAM soon, it's better to order it with 4GB ram. Third party RAM is not that much cheaper, and apparently many are reporting problems with non-Apple RAM.

There is nothing that the 2.4 can do and the 2.0 cannot, except typing in the dark. The 2.0 may be a little bit slower, but surely, it can do everything that the 2.4 can.

EDIT: (to clarify for MacJenn)
    Apple RAM = RAM that supplied by Apple, installed in CTO MBs (No, they are not Apple-branded).
    Third party RAM = RAM you buy from vendors other than Apple, you install it yourself after you receive your MB.

10. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

2.4ghz is great mate go for the best..

11. MacJenn macrumors regular

Then he would need to buy the new Macbook Pro if he wants the best, mate.

Also to the other poster. There is no such thing as Apple RAM. They use a variety of manufacturers like they do for other parts (ex: screen)

12. cheep thread starter macrumors newbie

What I am getting out of all of this is the 2.0 can do everything the 2.4 can do but it just might be a little slower correct

13. shoppy macrumors 6502a

The biggest thing you have to remember is the backlit keyboard. I just downgraded from my macbook pro to the macbook. The screen does not bother me. But the thing that bothered me was the backlit keyboard. I was going to save the money, but I went for the 2.4 as I already had 4 gigs of ram from my macbook pro. So I have a 2.4 with 4 gigs of ram which is a perfect sweet spot for me.

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yeah, we're talking like 0.1% slower in day to day use.

15. CoreyMac macrumors regular

its really all in what you have for pockets. The 2.0 makes alot of sense as the performance is very similar to the 2.4, you're just missing out on the backlit kb and larger hard drive....if the backlit keyboard is not important to you and the 160GB is enough space, then the additional $300 doesnt make much sense and upgrading the 2.0 to 4GB RAM would do you a little more good economically.

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Or, if you can get by with 2 gigs for now, wait for the price of third party ram to come down further. DDR2 ram is dirt cheap right now...

17. knarzie macrumors regular

may I aks what kind of 500GB HDD you put in?

18. qsoundrich macrumors member

I'm thinkin about the 2.4 vs. 2.0 comparison as well now (I found out the 2.4 can be had for 1400 at macconnection.) The extra HD space would be nice, but one selling point is that I may use it to do some dj-ing and the backlit keyboard might be nice for that (although I'm a touch-typist.)

Is the extra 400mhz really worth the extra money as well? A mere 3 small changes for a big upgrade in price...