Advice Needed: 2014 vs 2015 refurb RMBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Larrabee213, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Larrabee213 macrumors regular

I am looking to pick up a 15" rMBP and I am debating between the 2014 version with the 750m and the mid 2015 with the AMD GPU. I would go with 16GB ram and 512GB SSD either way. At first I was considering waiting for the 2016 revision, but with the minimal CPU performance upgrades from intel and the speculation it will have AMD graphics, I am considering getting one now and waiting on the sidelines until they go back to NVIDIA or Adobe really starts supporting AMD GPU acceleration.

Both are about within $50 on the Apple Refurb site now. The big thing that is holding me up is that I mostly use Adobe Premiere/After Effects. From time to time I use FCX as well.

Obviously the 2015 version has a faster SSD, CPU, and force touch (which I like on my 13"). Also has 1 hour extra battery. But again, I am worried it will suffer in Adobe Premiere.

What do you guys thing if the price was equal?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I would wait until they account the new ones and get the 2015 model that will be on sale soon after :)

3. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

The 2014 model is the superior one. Proper track pad and a GPU that doesn't throttle down in a manner of minutes.

Bonus: Yosemite > El Crapitan

4. Closingracer macrumors 68000

How is that a bonus? From what i have read El capitan is better then Yosemite from here and otherwise... El capitan is the first OS X version i have used and I love it so I can't comment on which is better though.

Proper trackpad? I have tried the traditional ones on the Air and I love the force touch one on the Pro 13 and 15 inch ones....

5. Larrabee213 thread starter macrumors regular

So even money, it looks like the GPU is the big deciding factor? SSD Speed not a huge issue as well as the 1 hour of battery life most likely won't be noticeable?