Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
I just bought a new Retina iMac (awesome machine) and now I need to sell my early 2009 iMac 24". I have upgraded the RAM to 8GB and also the HDD to 2TB. In addition, I replaced the SuperDrive with a Crucial 256GB SSD.

My question is should I pull out the SSD and put the SuperDrive back in before selling the iMac? I am wondering if having the SuperDrive or SSD would help selling more. Normally I would think SSD, but not so sure on an older machine where a key original component has been removed and replaced with different technology (granted I think SSD is far more useful than a SuperDrive).

My thinking is if someone is looking to buy a 5-6 year old computer they may expect/want the SuperDrive in the iMac as opposed to SSD in its place.

Thoughts?

Jeff

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I think you have done well to think through the pros and cons. I think its a wash. Generally parting things out will safe money. I would leave it. I dont think it matters.

jji7skyline

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2011
I would definitely take out any upgrades you've done to it. The average consumer is not going to appreciate them, and they're only going to increase the price marginally. Maybe leave the RAM in, since you won't have any use for it and 8GB looks good on paper.

You can sell the SSD for close to original price, or use it in another computer. An SSD can easily be installed in a Macbook Pro (non-retina) for instance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.