Advice needed: Denied Magsafe replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by migsev, Feb 22, 2010.

1. migsev macrumors regular

Are these covered by warranty? I plugged it in today and it literally popped. There are black marks all around it. The socket itself is fine because I just tried my phone charger in it and it works fine.

Rang the APP hotline but they're closed for the night so I don't know what to do.

UPDATE:

Ok, so Apple denied my request for a replacement. I just got in touch with my service center and they relayed Apple's email to me. Apparently my adapter may have shown signs of water damage which caused the explosion. It could also have been a power surge which caused it to break.

I'm calling BS because it was never wet. Unless there was a puddle on the floor that I managed to miss, it would never have exploded.

If it was a power surge, am I correct in thinking that it wouldn't be the only thing damaged? In the same socket, I also had a lamp plugged in. Within my room, I also had a mobile phone and my iPod charging, not to mention a running airconditioner. If it was a surge, wouldn't other items be damaged as well? I've had a power surge at my grandmother's house and literally everything plugged in the living room got fried. And is it even possible for a surge to go through a surge protector?

Any advice?

My service center took pictures of the adapter and the extension.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Take pictures, send disappointed emails to Apple HQ and say how dangerous this can be, if your house burnt down (don't be too mad with the style)!

Some freebee and Apple apology is guaranteed. Then post it to us! :)

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

4. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

Is there an email address I can get in touch with? Any help would be highly appreciated at this point. I've got 2 hours life left on my computer. :(

I'm not suffering from any frayed cords or anything. Its just a little scratched up from living on the floor (I use the extension) but its in good condition aside from that.

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

hi,

i would like pictures if you can , i am indexing these problems.

6. monkeyking87 macrumors newbie

Then turn off the computer and wait to call them in the morning!!!

Enjoy the smokey burnt smell of a lawsuit as you drift off to sleep....

:p:p:p

7. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

I've got a paper due by midnight so this is a really bad time to have the adapter blow up on me.

8. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

Not the best pic as I've only got my mobile phone with me, but here you go.

[​IMG]

I've got those little black marks all around the adapter. Its like the black stuff came out of the non-air tight parts of the casing.

9. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Your picture is crap. We can barely distinguish anything. Please do another with a decent lighting. Thanks ;-)

10. Barkaritaville macrumors newbie

Should be covered. I took mine in when the white insulation melted near the MagSafe connector (adaptor and computer out of warranty) armed with this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1713 and they replaced it free of charge. Note that near the bottom it states that "whether your product is in or out-of-warranty, you can take your adapter to an Apple-Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for evaluation and replacement if necessary". I know that your situation is different from the symptoms they describe, it is worth a shot. Just call them up.

11. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

Best I can do right now, sorry.

The spark was definitely not ordinary as it came from the adapter itself and not the plug. I'll call tomorrow and see what they say.

In cases of replacement, how long does it normally take? Would I be able to run off to my nearest service center and get a replacement off the shelf if Apple authorize a replacement? Or will I have to wait for them to ship one from Singapore?

12. Barkaritaville macrumors newbie

Mine was replaced immediately but I was at an Apple Store next to my home. I did not even make an appointment. I just went up to an employee, he took one look at the adaptor, went to the back of the store and returned with a new one and handed it to me free of charge. The did need my computer serial number or better the computer itself to make sure that there were no other problems associated with the adaptor or the computer itself. I would still contact apple first as you do not want to make a wasted trip if they are out of stock or they need confirmation for the replacement ahead of time.

13. snberk103 macrumors 603

If you have to buy one to get your paper finished, do so from an Apple Authorized reseller. Keep the receipt. Its not guaranteed that Apple will reimburse you, but its very likely they will do so. Your first priority is to get that paper finished.

From what I've read in posts like these, Apple is very quick to replace power adapters. They seem to recognize that these are not as robust as they Apple would like them. As long as you are buying an Apple part I can't see that they won't reimburse you, though you might have to push this up a level or two above the front line call centre.

Good Luck

14. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone managed to get a replacement extension cord with Magsafe adapters? I just noticed that the connection point on my extension got burned too.

Also, is there a possibility that this'll cause damage to my laptop?

15. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I had my power adapter replaced because of the cabling issue right by the magsafe connector. All I did was take the adapter to an Apple Store, and they swapped it. Now that I think of it though, I didn't take my extension cord in at the time, since it was just fine. I see no reason why they wouldn't replace it as well.

16. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

MacMadMachine,

Please keep us updated on what you find. I've become a bit worried about the safety of the MSPA and would be interested in the information you find out.

Thanks!

-P

17. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

I just got off the phone from an APP rep. He told me to just bring both the computer and the MagSafe adapter to a local service provider so they can inspect it for replacement. I'm slightly bothered by the way he spoke to me. It's like this sort of thing regularly happens. :eek: He said it was covered by my APP though, so that's good.

18. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I really hate it when people say exploded, blew up, caught on fire, and there was only a little short and a little bitty black spot. Just sayin

19. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

what it that green stuff in the picture?

20. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing green on it. Must be the crappy phone camera, sorry about that. :eek:

Anyway, I left the adapter at my usual service provider today. Replacement wasn't instantaneous though. Normally the Magsafe adapters they handle are either suffering from frayed cables or don't charge at all. Apparently I'm the first to bring in one that blew up so they'll consult with Apple first before making a decision. :(

21. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

EDIT: Just moved everything to the 1st post so its easier to read.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense but wouldn't it be easier just to buy a new one. I understand its the principle of the thing but how much are we talking about? Is it worth the aggravation.

23. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apple's first-level support is phone-only. They might follow up by e-mail.

I asked for one when I had my magsafe replaced. After a little prodding the Genius gave me one.

That'd be easier, but it'd also be more expensive :p Plus I get the feeling it's not really about the aggravation, it's about a warranty being honored.

24. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

Its 4,990 Philippine Pesos at the service center I brought it to. To put it into perspective, my monthly allowance is 7,000 Philippine Pesos. Aside from the principle of warranty being honored, I just cannot afford to buy one at this moment in time.

I rang Apple again and I was told to call back when Customer Service is open. Looks like I've been escalated one level already. The problem with the Philippines is that there are no official Apple stores and therefore no Geniuses either. I have to make a request to my ASP, who then forwards the request to Apple Singapore. Nobody is authorized to perform on-the-spot replacements and everything has to pass through Singapore. :(

I think the melted bit on the plug is what made them think it was a power surge. Its crazy because nothing else in my room broke. The socket itself is intact as well.

25. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

call customer relations, ask for them when talking to a apple care rep on the phone.

they would have replaced this all ready, they do not screw around with serious stuff like this.

just call and say...this thing blew up...smoke black marks.

enough said.