Advice needed for MAC pro configuration

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by artivideo.nl, Aug 7, 2009.

1. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

artivideo.nl

What will be the minimum configuration needed to be able to edit the AVC-intra 100 codec from a P2 card using FCS and to store the original and final footage. I don't want stuttering of the footage which still happens with a MBP !!! Will there be an update soon for the Mac pro since the last update was already in the beginning of this year ? What is the next expected update step and will it be major or not ?

2. artivideo.nl thread starter macrumors 6502

artivideo.nl

3. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I am not sure as I don't do the stuff you want to do but I would think any Mac Pro would suit your needs. Just add more RAM and don't buy that from :apple: as they charge way to much...

As far as the update, you won't see one this year. Maybe early 2010...

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

The RAM might help. But if it's shuttering on the fast MBP then it will on all of the Mac Pros too. Or maybe the 2.93 might not. Maybe. (I doubt it tho.)

The problem here is that FCP is an incompetent whore. It's seriously poor. I haven't tried the newest one released this week yet but all previous versions are poorly written IMHO. Nice user interface layout tho. ;)

5. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

LOL! Out of curiosity, what do you use/recommend instead of Final Cut? Just curious.

@OP - I take it offline editing is out of the question?

And as for the MacPro getting updated, nobody knows when/how/why. We can only speculate. Personally, I would say that there will be six and twelve core models. Other users would say I am full of crap and then take my ice cream cone.

Anyways, Intra 100, is that a compressed codec? 100 Mbit/s? Wouldn't that be 12.5 MB/s? CALVC may be the culprit on your stuttering... I don't know much about the codec, so I can't comment much on it. Depending how well the NLE multithreads should be the decision on the computer... potentially :D

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

7. artivideo.nl thread starter macrumors 6502

artivideo.nl

No AVC-I-100 is not very compressed at all (especially when copared to AVCHD or HDV). That is why it is 100MB/s and you have very little compression artefacts. It is the top codec in video at the moment (4:2:2, 10 bits, which makes colour correction, chroma keying easy).

What do you mean by "offline editting" ?

8. stblassitude macrumors newbie

Fast disks, fast processor

I'm not really familiar with pro video editing, but at 100 Mbit/s, you are coming close to the transfer rate of 2.5" drives, so that might explain the stuttering with a MBP. As editing disks, you should consider investing in a SAS controller and 15k SAS disks, in a RAID 10 configuration (beware: can be really loud!).

Lots of memory always help; get the most you can afford.

Stock graphics card is probably sufficient, ATI HD 4870 won't hurt.

One CPU with higher clock rate will probably serve you better than two with a lower clock rate. Of course, getting two 2,93 GHz CPUs will be best.

Intel apparently has no new (high end) architecture planned for this year, so the basic Mac Pro should stay the same. Apple will likely add 6-core CPUs when Intel starts shipping them.

HTH

9. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Your Hard Drive seems to be the culprit here if you're asking for 100MB/s, a 7200RPM drive by itself won't deliver that for you. You either need to bump up to SSD (although I don't know how they perform with Video) or ideally get yourself a nice RAID box or run a 4 Disk RAID in a MacPro. I'm pretty certain the CPU's can handle what you're throwing at it just fine, the problem is the HDD.

10. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Offline Editing = converting footage to another codec, sequencing it, then swap out footages before a render. Used in the days when some computers couldn't make 1 GHz.

However, since AVC-I-100 isn't compressed, it is your hard drives that are the problem. You need a RAID; solid-state-discs write speeds and UBE ratings are nothing spectacular.

11. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Pretty much anything you do in an NLE (like FCP for example) is considered offline editing. The offline part is meaning off of the original recording media. That's all.

So as soon as you import the footage from the camera or DV Tape, or DVD media, or digitize your film, or whatever, you're editing it offline. ;) Editing a film from a "workprint" (in traditional film stock) is considered "offline editing".

12. handsome pete macrumors 68000

These days when people refer to offline and online, it has more to do with working with the uncompressed footage vs. proxies.

Also, I've found most problems people have with FCP is that they're not using the proper worklflow or setting up their projects properly. I've worked with 2K RED footage on my older macbook pro without any problems.

13. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yup, true enough!

:eek: Do please share your workflow/setup!