advice needed- how to sync NON-smartphone with apple address book and iCal

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eastcoastmac, Nov 20, 2010.

1. eastcoastmac macrumors newbie

I need to get a new verizon phone, but I do not want to have any data package (so all smartphones including iPhone, blackberry, droid, etc will not work).

I DO want to be able to sync my phone with my iCal and contact book on my mac. I can do the sync manually (usb) or bluetooth.

I do need the phone to have a keyboard, so I can edit/add contacts and appointments on the phone itself.

If I need to purchase third-party software to make the sync possible, which software?

Are there particular non-smartphone phone models that do/ do not have this capability?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You could check out whether The Missing Sync will work with your new phone. I've got an old (non-smart) phone and that syncs natively with iCal and Address Book without any third-party software to OS 10.5.8.

3. eastcoastmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Blue, you said yours would sync natively. Did you just plug it in USB and it automatically synced?

I've done a little reading on iSync... is that what was "natively" on your mac to make this possible?

I also have 10.5.8

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yep. Synced with Bluetooth, no probs. Best check if your device is supported.

5. eastcoastmac, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

eastcoastmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Blue,

Thanks so much for sending. That link was exactly what I needed.

Does not look like they support casio phones (bummer, since they are the only rugged waterproof ones I know of with full keyboard)

I wonder if it is just outdated? The main page says last update was June 18, 2010. The link that says "Support for more recent mobile devices is available via downloadable plug-ins." shows a date of of December 11, 2008.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Then, at a cursory glance, it looks like the Missing Sync might do the trick.