Advice needed: iMac, iPad & MacBook Pro Overkill?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mowgli21, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Mowgli21 macrumors regular

Hi

I am an ICT tech and have at home an iMac 21.5" 2009 and an iPad. I use computers a lot as part of my job requires me to create and design websites and logos. I also am an amateur photographer so my editing on the PC is quite demanding as well. I have an iPad and love it for the mobile aspect but am finding more and more that i want/need a laptop to do web work etc when away from my iMac.

My question is, is it overkill to have an iMac, iPad and Macbook Pro? Does anyone else have all three? Do you find you don't use one as much as the other? Or any other advice?

Thanks

2. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

I have all four (Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone). Each serves a different purpose.

Mac Pro - Serious work
    MacBook Pro - Portable work
    iPad - Consumption / Basic work
    iPhone - Portable Consumption

I use the iPhone and Mac Pro most, then the iPad and MacBook Pro fairly evenly, depending on what I'm doing.

3. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

I have a Mac Pro, an iMac, a MBP, a iPad and a iPhone. They serve different purposes. The Mac Pro for video-editing and my work (stockmarket), the iMac for our private IT needs, the MBP for work on the road and the iPad for keeping up to date with the stockmarket when I am not on my workplace. The 4 machines serve me well. The comming months I might buy an air as a replacement for both the iPad and the MBP. Not sure yet.

Buy what you can justify.

4. kyzen macrumors regular

I think having a desktop and laptop is pretty common for people who do the majority of their work on computers. I wouldn't factor the iPad in, as its capabilities are minimal compared to the other devices.

5. JKColo22 macrumors regular

I have a MBP and a iPad and although they are both mobile they serve very different purposes for me. The iPad goes with me almost everywhere while the MBP doesn't necessarily always travel with me. I have been wishing I had a Mac Mini or iMac at home lately for iTunes storage and music creation. So no, not overkill at all in my opinion.

6. Mowgli21 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies guys. Pretty much made my mind up lol.

7. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

Is your disposable income enough for this kind of purchase? Are there loans you can use this money to pay off? If not, pull the trigger with no regrets..

Just trying to be a voice of logic.

8. aloshka macrumors 65816

So what did you decide? What will each device be used for?

9. Mowgli21 thread starter macrumors regular

I am going to get the 13" MBP. My iMac will always be my powerhouse at home but the MacBook pro is going to offer me the mobile computer I need. I think I will still use my iPad as I use it as more of an entertainment device anyway for the films, games and photos. It also comes with me on trips.

Now to decide now or wait for the update. Lol.

Thanks again

10. aloshka macrumors 65816

Update? I doubt there will be an upgrade for a while. I mean SandyBridge is the next best thing, but I doubt that will be ready until apr 2011.

11. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i have all 3. nothing beats the convenience at home with a desktop and a larger screen (or two). the MB or MBP is useful for portable computing on the go or if you want to lounge somewhere else in the house. the ipad is great for casual browsing or gaming. if you can afford it, there's no overkill.

12. aloshka macrumors 65816

I completely agree with you! I have mac pro, macbook pro 13 right now (possibly will switch it out with mac book air 13).. and looking to get an ipad. My issue though, is how to synchronize some of my work across the machines. There are times I need virtual machines on my air when I'm at a client site. Copying each time is a hassle (each image is about 40gb). Haven't figured that one out yet.

13. andrewsd macrumors 6502

congrats

congrats and I do not own an iPad no need really with an iphone and 13"mb but do you ever find a time when it is not convenient to have an iPad because it has no base as a laptop would. I was thinking about that on my flight from the states to europe last week and I may have been screwed if I had an iPad instead of and mb.

14. Barnzee macrumors regular

You can never own to many apple products. the more the better.

15. andrewsd macrumors 6502

yes you can

You can own to much of any one thing.. If it does not serve a purposes a real purposes then it is overkill.. There is no point to buy something just to have it .. and besides would you really want to go buy such a nice product to have it just sit there ..