Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bd4

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Hey everyone,

I would like to request some advice since I struggle to decide between the 2015 and 2016 MacBook Pro (15-inch). Here is my story:

The 2016 MBP (2.7 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, Radeon Pro 455) used to be my daily driver for tasks like programming, working with multiple virtual machines, office and some minor photo and video editing. I use it like 80% of the time in closed clamshell mode hooked up to a 4K screen and 20% of the time on the go. However, I had two keyboard failures during just 4 weeks and I needed a machine to work on while it was at service, so I bought an used 2015 MBP (2.2 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris iGPU only).

Now I have both machines here and can't decide on which one to keep (still have an old MBA as backup, so I don't need three machines...).

2015 MBP:
+ seems overall much more solid to me, especially the keyboard
+ is fast enough for my use (at least from today's point of view)
+ would save me about 800-900 euros
+ seems to be more quiet when connected to the 4K screen (probably since it hasn't dual GPUs?)
+ connectivity is much better, don't need dongles

2016 MBP:
+ better screen and larger trackpad
+ runs more fluid with the external screen (but the fans are ramping up much faster...)
+ still has about a year of Apple Care remaining
+ a bit lighter and thinner on the go
+ Touch ID (Touchbar is useless to me, though...)

So, what would you do? Thanks in advance!

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
I would keep the 2015. As of today they cannot be bought anymore from Apple, the 2016 is a lemon, and with the much more powerful 2018's now released the 2016 will have **** resale value - so I would dump it ASAP. On the contrary the 2015 will be a classic in years to come, and if you sell it in a few years time there will be people who want it!

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
I wonder, if you sold the 2016 MBP and the MBA, would that cover the cost of a 2018 MBP? Then you would have a great backup either way, and could see how the 2018 fit you...

Out of curiosity, have you considered, given your work, opening up the MacBook and running two screens simultaneously (the laptop and external 4K)? For programming and VM that is a nice convenience, and you have the screen already anyway...

I have a 2016 MBP 15" connected to an LG 5K since October 2016 and I love the setup. Haven't had any issues with the keyboard or anything else. Great machine.

There are literally hundreds of posts comparing the 2016 and 2015 MacBooks, and at least a few dozen are even rational. :) But since you have both in front of you, you are probably going to a better judge than anyone else.

The Catalyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2009
My maxed out 2015 MBP is still my daily driver and it has been rock solid.

Apple still hasn’t given me any logical reason to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.