Advice Needed! Macbook Pro Display Assembly Cracking!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mnsportsgeek, Oct 22, 2011.

1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Hello everybody,

I'm in sort of a dilemma. My Macbook Pro is out of warranty and I did not purchase apple care (currently regretting the decision). The LCD casing is cracking at the seal on my 15" Macbook Pro. I didn't drop it, it just did this by itself due to wear and tear is what I assume. I have attached two pictures showing the problem:
    [​IMG]

And another one:
    [​IMG]

Better yet, this is what it has done to my screen. This black bar intermittently shows up on my screen. When I apply pressure to the correct portion of the screen it goes back to normal. And yes, the color does get washed out considerably and it is very hard on the eyes. That's not the camera. I have to do this every time I open the computer to get rid of this issue.
    [​IMG]

Does anybody have any experience with this issue? I've done some reading online and it looks like a pretty well known issue with older Unibody Macbook Pro (this is the 2009 model with the replaceable battery).

Any advice for the cheapest option for repair, or even if selling this one for parts and putting the money towards a new one might be better. Any help is appreciated!

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I think you qualify for the flat rate repairs. I would try that route, otherwise you are looking for an entire display assembly replacement, along with the knowledge of doing the repair.

3. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

I went to the genius bar last week and they quoted me about $500 to repair. Part of me wants to say that I'd rather sell this one and put the $500 I would have spent on the repair towards a new 13" Macbook Pro.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to replace it for less than $500. I am willing to do the repair myself.

4. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I have the same problem on mine. Luckily not that bad.. yet..

It would be cheaper or about the same price to sell and get a 13" MBP

That is what I am going to do. I am going to sell mine for about $700 and buy a new 13" for a difference of about $400-$500.. about the same for a repair..

5. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing. I guess I won't be getting that new iPad anytime soon :( Problem is, I'm a student and won't have the money till I get my tax return in a few months... hmm.

6. randomrazr macrumors 65816

7. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

hmm maybe we should wait till the new redesign possibility in 2012..

My only problem is resale value will continue to drop..

8. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

When is that update rumored? I know there is a spec bump coming in a couple weeks. I would hate to wait for a redesign and only have it be a spec bump in 2012. I suppose I could use this as a desktop until then. It'd be a real pain though.

9. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Hard to say.. rumors are now that there will be just a spec update the first week of november.. They are saying there will be a possible redesign when the ivy chip is released probably spring/summer.

10. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe I get the iPad now, and use this broken piece of junk i have now as a desktop with an external monitor until 2012. Decision decisions.

I hate when things break. They make life difficult.

11. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Tell me about it.. I have never transferred from mac to mac before.. I don't want to go through the hassle. I wonder if I can just plop this hard drive into the new computer and everything will be just fine..

12. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

you can i do it all the time.....

this is another reason why I'm getting apple care.... anything thats manmade is doomed for repair eventually

13. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

does apple care cover physical damage like this? regardless if it was dropped or not?

14. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I would opt for the self repair if possible. Althought $500 seems high, the best price I could find on ebay is $330, and Im not even sure that comes with everything that is needed.

Here is the link for the auction.

15. Rolvag macrumors regular

Rolvag

I would trek on over to iFixit.com and look for all the parts AND tools needed for the job. I just replaced the glass on my 15" MB pro following the directions on iFixit and tthe repair went smoothly and only took 1 hr. Total cost was $175 inculing a complete tool kit for all the tools needed for any Apple repair.

It's going to be a hard sell if you try to sell the MB in the current condition.

Good Luck