Advice needed: MacPro or iMac dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pbkiller, Nov 8, 2009.

1. pbkiller macrumors regular

Hi all! This is my story: I bought a 2006 MacPro 2 x 2.66ghz (quad core) cause at that time, I had a home based recording studio, nothing big, just basically ProTools LE and some Logic 7 (at that time). I also used my mac for making home movies, encoding DVD's and ripping them for my iPod/iPhone. The studio thing did not work out so I have my MacPro at home for basically web surfing, email, youtube, iTunes, video encoding, photos, etc. I use a MacBook for college work. So in the end, i have a powerful machine sitting at home doing basic stuff.

I takes a lot of space (my room is not that big) and i cant stand having the MacPro on the floor (i used to have a workstation desk when i was doing the studio thing, now i don't) as it sucks a lot of dust from the front grills. So i was thinking of changing my MacPro for one of the new iMacs. Also the ease of just having the monitor and CPU all in one gets my attention.

What do you guys think? I really need the extra space, but i would not like to give up the power and the upgradeability from my Pro, and I can always get an external for the iMac. They're willing to give me $1400 for it. Do you guys think that's fair for my rig? It has the previously mentioned processor, 3 HD's (250GB, 320GB and 500GB), 1GB of RAM, 2 super drives, stock video card and i added the bluetooth and wifi cards.

Do you guys think getting a new iMac from my MacPro is a downgrade? What would you do if any of you guys was in my same situation? Thanks!

2. MaximumDVD macrumors newbie

Hi PBkiller,

In your situation, If I were you, I'd absolutely switch to the imac. Given that space is an issue, and you are not using all of the power your Mac Pro has. You could still have quite a powerful machine and gain the needed space at the same time. Even the 21.5" $1499 Base iMac is a great deal. You get a 3.06Ghz Dual core CPU, 4GB of RAM, 1 TB Hard drive, along with the new magic mouse, new version of iLife, and SNOW LEOPARD! Best of all you get the goregous display, and it would only wind up costing you around $100, with the $1400 you'd get for your Mac Pro. I say go for it.

-MaxDVD

3. pbkiller thread starter macrumors regular

Is the base iMac good enough? Space is not an issue as i can get an external drive. I will get $1400 for my Pro and the top of the line iMac 21.5 is $1499 so I would end up coughing $100 or so to be able to get the upgraded iMac. Is there a big difference between the 9400M and the discrete graphics card?
    Thanks!

4. ipodftw macrumors member

I would go with the imac, the new ones are fabulouse and would recommend it to everyone, [​IMG] you cant go wrong!