Advice Needed: MBP Warranty Situation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SubaruNation555, Mar 6, 2009.

1. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Sorry for the long post but here's the deal:

Several weeks ago the wireless, left USB port, audio in/out ports and LED backlighting stopped working on my 2.2GHz MBP. I do not have AppleCare but the computer was purchased with an American Express card so the original Apple warranty was extended for another year. Since I go to school in central PA and the nearest Apple store is three hours away, I was not able to get an estimate until the next week when I was visiting my girlfriend.

So I get an estimate from an Apple store near Philadelphia and the quote was $300 for a flat rate labor charge to fix the left I/O board. Amex approved the estimate and I was told to get the necessary repairs and they would simply reimburse me.

I am currently home for spring break I took the computer and original estimate to an Apple store near my home. I explained the situation and stated I wanted to authorize the work quoted in the original estimate. The guy said that he would have to write up his own estimate before he could send the computer out.

So he checks out all the problems and writes up the estimate. This time it was $1,300. He said there was a tiny dent on the top case (that I had no idea about and you could only tell if you ran your fingers over it) that could possibly account for the backlighting not working. Therefore the top case, display and corresponding components would have to be replaced in addition to the left I/O board. The computer was working fine until all the problems mentioned above randomly started happening. The estimate states "Tier 4 Accidental Damage."

I assume Amex will not cover accidental damage so what should I do now? Can I go to another Apple store to get a reasonable estimate or will they know I have gotten one already and decline the repair?

Any advice or words of wisdom? Thanks for your time.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Where did you go to get the first quote/estimate? If it's an authorize Apple service provider, the numbers might not be the same but should be close. 300 to 1000+ is a big difference.

Had a friend with a faulty MagSafe port, honestly say his MacBook isn't in the best condition but the Genius Bar didn't even charge him for labor, just for the part.

I would definitely seek a 3rd opinion.

3. PDE macrumors 68020

I would just take it to another authorized repair center -- or ask to talk to a manager and explain the situation. Unless the dent is more substantial than you're telling us, I doubt very much it had anything to do with the screen failing. IF talking to a manager doesn't work, I'd go in again with the first quote you had and give it to them. You might get a nicer genius who is more cooperative.

You can also call Apple directly and tell them that you got a quote and want to go ahead with the repair. It's unlikely they'd say no, IMO. It's not like you're asking for it to be repaired for free...

Good luck!

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Whenever Apple looks at or does anything to your computer, they keep a record of it (based on your serial number). You might be able to get a second opinion at another Apple store but don't try to hide why you are seeking out a second opinion. Another option is to talk to the store manager and politely ask them to reconsider. Since your situation is slight, they might make an exception of doing all the repair and keeping the same estimate. The final option is to take it too a 3rd party repair place and pay for it yourself.

5. SubaruNation555 thread starter macrumors 6502

Got a third estimate and the genius backed the original $300 estimate but said at the depot they could change their minds about the dent. I am certainly not trying to get away with anything but the dent is so trivial I feel frustrated that the geniuses are making a big deal over it. You can barely feel it when you run your hand over the top case.

However, it now says online that my repair has been cancelled. I will have to call them tomorrow to see what is going on but I have a feeling I'm not going to like what I hear.

6. tobyg macrumors 6502a

It's stories like this that frustrate me.

I've got a 2007 17" MBP with the 8600 GT, just waiting for it to die...

I've got a small dent, again the kind you can't even see and barely feel if you rub your hand over it, right over the DVD drive. Happened when a desk phone handset slipped out of my hand. And the DVD drive still works perfectly fine. But if something ever does happen with it, I'm sure they'll blame it on the dent.

Anyway, I'm worried that when the graphics card dies, they'll claim this dent is related in some way or another and it's not even close to related. Besides that tiny tiny dent, and a small tiny scratch on the outside of the display in the aluminum, my notebook is in excellent shape. Screen is perfect, no scratches/dust/anything. The 'c' key is starting to wear out, not sure why. Not bad for being used daily for work for about the past year and a half.

But anyway, keep us up to date on this. It's this kind of thing that is starting to turn me away from Apple. Granted, for every story like this you hear of some guy who got his entire notebook replaced with a brand new notebook... but it's the stress of wondering what they will do that is bothering me. Not only that but you hear of stories of people who send their notebook in only to get it back unrepaired and they claim it had water damage or some other damage, when it didn't before you brought it in. But how can you really prove otherwise? And sometimes you'll get it backed scratched up, etc.

Frustrating.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Highly likely that they'll send it back denying the warranty work described due to the dent. I really dislike anything that goes to the depot in Houston, TX and expect it to resemble what it was when it was brand new or close to what it was before it broke down or started having problems...:mad:

I suggest another Apple Authorized Repair shop (not the Apple Store) put on a new case and then get it back to "in-good-standing" warranty wise, then take it to Apple and they can't say anything about the dent.