Advice needed (new iMac or ext. display?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pranavss11, Oct 4, 2008.

1. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Desicions...desicions. I am a college student (Software Engineering) and have been using my 13' MacBook to do all my programming. As you probably have figured out, it get's very tedious on such a small screen. I was wondering whether I should go buy a new 20' iMac 2.4, and use the MacBook when I am not at home or simply buy a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse and set that up. Any suggestions?

2. jojo13 macrumors 6502

jojo13

it depends on you needs, but i would get the montitor. Youre saaving a lot of money by doing this.;)

3. The Awesome macrumors member

Looking at your sig, you're probably happy enough performance-wise with your MacBook's lack of a real graphics card. Get a monitor. :)

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Simply spend about $200 and get yourself a 22" monitor, a lot cheaper than the iMac. Your machine is pretty much maxed out, so I imagine you are satisfied with the speed.

5. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Get a monitor!

Get a monitor, that's what I'm doing as soon as I can.

I'm also a (postgraduate) student. While you can not beat a macbook for portability, there have been several times when I've craved more screen real state. The most recent occasion was just last month, while fiishing my subspecialty thesis, going back and forth between spaces an using exposé like crazy to read, check, recheck sources an copy and edit my previous notes to the final draft; when someone lent me their 20 inches monitor, I became hooked on the setup.

Go for a monitor, keyboard and mouse, you won't regret it.

6. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

7. pranavss11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I am gonna buy a monitor tomorrow.
    Cheers!

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I would have to agree with the monitor. I like to keep my code window on my large monitor and have any reference websites/pdfs/ whatever I may need on the smaller screen. It works out nice :)

9. pranavss11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. So I got a good deal on a 22' ViewSonic. Got it for 200$.