Advice Needed: New Penryn iMac for iMac CD 2.0

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dalvin200, Apr 28, 2008.

1. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I have a few questions about potentially selling my current iMac and buying one of the new ones..

My current iMac is 2.0GHz Core Duo, 2gb RAM and 256mb graphics card (not sure which card as I'm at work)

The new Penryns have come out today and I'm very tempted to get the 24" as it has the HD screen.
    I won't be watching TV content, but will be doing lots of editing home movies shot in SD/HD. (I currently have about 8 miniDV tapes to work through!)

Also, will I notice a big difference in speed when using iLife08/Office 2008/FCE 4/Photoshop CS3 from a core duo 2gb ram to one of the new 24"
    Penryns? (either 2.8 or the 3.06 although not sure I really need the 8800 gfx card - or do I?)

On selling my current iMac.....I have a Time Capsule, so before I sell my iMac, I'll make 1 final backup of the system.

Once I sell it and replace it with another iMac, when I restore the system from the Time Capsule backup, does it also install
    the OS? Or do you install the OS as a separate entity and restore from Time Capsule simply movies files/users etc across?

The reason I ask is that I'd actually like a fresh install and then build from that - ie, place my iTunes library back and iPhoto library back
    onto a fresh machine... kind of like a spring clean..

Basically the question I have is, should I replace my 20" CD with a 24" C2D and max out RAM? - not really worried about the money as long as it significantly improves productivity
    (ie, time to convert files out of iMovie, render images in CS3 etc.. )

Many Thanks

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

www.barefeats.com might have a comparison of the old vs. new -- even if they are for the MacBook Pros they are still the same chipset.

3. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

cheers the link.. there's not a like for like comparison, but there are a few on that site that show that the new C2D's definitely add the performance boost i am kind of looking for...

hmm.. anyone any thoughts/advice?

what about the time capsule stuff?