Price Advice Advice needed, offered to sell my AIR

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by evorc, May 21, 2012.

1. evorc macrumors 6502

evorc

Should I sell my 2011 base 13" macbook air for $980? Is this a good deal? or should I expect more? It's practically almost new just used few months. My reason for selling is that I'm a computer science student and I do most of my work on my laptop rather than my PC desktop and find that the 13" is too limited at times in real state. I'm considering the 15" Pro when it comes out sometime in June. The reason why I'm considering of selling it is that I want to get the most money now and not wait till announcement of new AIR and PRO. Should I do it?

2. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Thats good but try to get like close to $1100..

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay, or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

4. evorc thread starter macrumors 6502

evorc

5. evorc thread starter macrumors 6502

evorc

It's gonna be hard to get $1100, any advice, it's listed on craiglist and most offers are 800-900 with the exception of 980$ from one person.

6. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

$980 is not an unreasonable offer. A refurb 13" Macbook Air (your model) can be bought directly from Apple for $1099 that has a 1 year warranty. As a secondhand seller, you can't offer the security that comes with that.

There's also value in you not having to screw around listing it, dealing with Craigslist lowballers, or paying fees if you sell it on some other sites. It's a guaranteed sale.

If you can live without it until the new MBP's come out, I'd take the offer. No one with any sense in their head would pay more.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There are many threads about selling off computers prematurely. If you can live without it for an undetermined amount of time, you probably own too many computers:p. Whoever is purchasing it isn't waiting for the refresh. If too many people are doing this, it may drive the price down anyway.

8. evorc, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

evorc thread starter macrumors 6502

evorc

I started looking on ebay the price $980 is right and that most sells for 900-1000. However ebay will also charge you after selling it. The deal is set for tomorrow and it sounds like this guy is for sure. I agree that my time alone of not having to deal with low ballers and listing fees and shipping with ebay is worth it. I really hate to let my AIR go now because it such an awesome piece of technology but knowing what might unveil in WWDC is promising. The idea of retina display on an AIR or PRO will for sure make me wish I have sold my AIR now if I choose to wait. If the next AIR also gets unveiled, I will make a tough decision between the AIR and the PRO. In the meantime I can live with the two windows laptop at home :(.

9. evorc thread starter macrumors 6502

evorc

The guy backed out because I told him my Air has Samsung LCD and SSD. The guy freaked out! LOL. He even called an apple genious and not surprise at all that they told him Apple does not use Samsung parts! Do people actually thinks Apple manufacture parts for their products? I just laughed and let it go. :D