Advice needed on 08 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NastyComputers, Aug 10, 2015.

1. NastyComputers macrumors regular

NastyComputers

Hey everyone. I have an early 2008 MBP 15" that needs a new LCD installed. I bought it with the understanding that it didn't work period, so I only paid 20 bucks for it. Got it home and charged up and it fired right up but the screen is bad. After connecting it to a external monitor it works great and has a good battery!

So my question is should I pay the money to have the top lid replaced (about $180-$225) and use it for school. (I already have a white MacBook) or should I just try to sell it for parts or to someone who would want to replace the screen and try to make a little profit?!

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Nate

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

JMHO - sell it for parts and get a new rMBP. A 2008 MBP is really too old (7 years is old) and slow for school (or anything else).

3. Techguy98 macrumors newbie

Techguy98

Yeah, I agree with Bending Pixels for the most part. paying for a proffesional screen replacement would not be worth it IMO. But because you spent only 20 bucks on it, maybe you could consider putting it in clamshell mode and using it as a desktop mac. This would be the easiest and cheapest way to get some more use out of this 15" macbook pro.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201834

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you can do the repair yourself and find a decently priced replacement panel, then I say go for it. I'd not spend too much money trying to repair it.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yeah sort of agreeong with the others I'd use it as a media server connected to my TV.

6. NastyComputers thread starter macrumors regular

NastyComputers

Thanks everyone. I like the media center idea...I had it set up as a clamshell but wasn't using it much. Gonna look into what kind of media center I can make it into.

7. wrndchapman macrumors newbie

I too have a 2008 15 inch MBP that needs a new lid (hinge came loose). I have recently upgraded the memory and installed a crucial 960 SSD. For me, after the upgrades, I'm very happy with the performance improvement. I'd like to find a reasonable priced lid in very good shape if someone could tell me where to look/search. Thanks

8. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

I have one of these in MINT condition and the video output died around Christmas, not sure of what to do with it but trying to find parts is NOT going well. You have allot of repair shops in CA and eBay has what your looking for more than likely