Advice needed on asking Applecare Support

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dhd, Dec 8, 2008.

1. dhd macrumors member

dhd

Hi everybody,

Recently my mbp ( SR 2,2 Ghz July'07) has developed a problem with its right fan (with heavy tasks such as audio/video processing,it makes a horrble noise, as it's about to brake), and I can't burn cd' nor dvd's with the superdrive. Also the battery seems to be in not a good state (check the attachments, according to cconut battery my laptop is 24458 months old!:confused:), but I think applecare doesn't cover them.
    I have applecare, but i'm leaving for a month trip (in 3 days, so no chance that apple in The Netherlands can fix it on time), were I'll need the laptop (only for mail/office needs nothing intensive).

My question is: Do you think that the fan problem can damage the computer?, so
    1.- it's better to leave the laptop in apple hands and get it back in 4 weeks or
    2.- take the laptop with me and go to applecare in 4 weeks.

I know that seems an stupid question but I don't know how badly the computer can be damaged in other parts with this fan problem...and I'll probably need the laptop to work.

On the battery...is it worth to try to get it replaced?. If so, How should approach the topic as they are not usually covered?.

Thank anyone and please forgive my english!

Attached Files:

• spb.jpg
      spb.jpg
      File size:
      201.4 KB
      Views:
    • ccb.jpg
      ccb.jpg
      File size:
      107.9 KB
      Views:
  2. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Do not be concerned. As long as you have applecare you are fine.

In relation to your battery. As long as it works fine do not worry. Seems like a software bug that is giving you that stupid number...realistically Apple batteries die after 12 months :p

In relation to the fan. If you hear it, it means its still working :) Just cause it makes crapy noise does not mean its about to die. The bearings on these tend to go after a while and they start to make noise. Ive had heaps of noisy fans in PC over the years. If anything they were just annoying. And will be replaced by Applecare.

Not being able to burn cds/dvd. Hmm okay now that is an issue, would not say that is related to the Fan (your right fan is for the GPU). Again fixed by applecare.

If you need the MBP, take it and use it. If something goes wrong all you data will be on the HD so you will not lose it. THough it sounds like your MBP might have some bigger issues, could be the logic board, I am not concerned that the fan is load, i am concerned that you cannot burn CDs (does the drive work at all?).

3. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I am only concerned about if it gets worse and applecare asks why you didn't send it in when you first noticed the problem. But, if there is nothing in the T&Cs about reporting periods then you'll be covered anyway regardless how long it takes to send it in.

4. dhd thread starter macrumors member

dhd

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the replies!!!!.

Dear dubhe, that was my main concern, that they'll tell me something along the lines of "why didn't you bring it before?".

Dear MH01, I really hope that there is not a problem with the logic board as i had the graphics card problem some months ago and they replaced it already, with a new Superdrive as well. The drive can read perfectly cd's or dvd's. I don't know if the last migration update or superdrive update has anything to do with it (my gf's blackbook drive doesn't work since then either). I borrowed and external burner and it worked great, no problems whatsoever.
    About the fan, is not loud when I push the machine, it is nasty, to give a word, it sounds like if is about to break or crack (like if some loose piece is really banging something inside the machine), not as a noisy pc, but as I said I do not need any real power, just internet and openoffice.
    I asked about the battety issue because at the apple website they state that you qualify for a replacement if you have a load cycle that is lower than 300. (it last about an hour and half being a bit of a year old).

Thank!!!!!

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I think you will be fine to travel with it.

Now if something happens, your responce to applecare is "it happened all the sudden" it is NOT " yeah this has been happening for weeks".

Sounds like a software issue with the CD/DVD.

Looks like you just have a loud fan.

Happy travels!

6. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

mine too is a SR mbp and has issues reading DVD's it can read cds and Dual layer dvd';s thou :eek: I've tried every brand of dvds ... but in vain.. it even rejects my recovery disc that came with my mbp