Advice needed on buying a refurb from Apple.com

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesryanbell, Mar 24, 2009.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Any people who have bought refurbs regret it afterward? Is there any downside to it that I need to be aware of? Just looking for past experiences from MR refurb experts. :) Thanks!

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

nope, they're great! and usually more better than New ones because someone has gone over every little bit of it before it went out.
    The only down side is you don't get a nice box.

3. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

+1

i have bought two referbs an imac and a mbp both work great, and not cosmetic defaults.

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

my dad has always had great experiences with it. he bought a refurbished laptop that was totally wrecked (came with bad screen and processor was fried) and they just replaced it with a new one.

5. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Thanks. :) I read the FAQ's on Apple's site, and it looks good. Just making sure there are no horror stories. LOL.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

They're certainly horror stories but don't get the wrong idea, you get the same coverage/service you would get with a new computer. Anything wrong with it, you'll get it taken care of.

7. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I agree with the posters above. I bought a refurbished iMac from apple.com. It was fine at first, and later developed a high pitched fan whine. Long story short, I was able to get it replaced.

Refurbished machines are just like new machines. The important things like customer care and warranty are no different.

Even though I had a frustrating (at times) experience, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another refurbished machine from apple.com.

8. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I just got my Refurb Unibody Macbook Pro as a refurb less than a month ago. It's perfect. I have non of the problems common in these forums. I have purchased Iphones, Ipods and have recommend the Refurbs to many of my friends. No horror stories yet. I highly recommend it. :D

9. appleguy12 macrumors newbie

My previous macbook pro (classic) was a refurb from the apple online store and apart from a slight buzzing noise from the logic board, everything else was perfect. Had no problems with the screen, or the dreaded 8600m gt time bomb issue. But I eventually sold it on ebay and got the unibody macbook pro. Overall, I recommend buying a refurb especially if you are tight on cash or just want a virtually brand new mac at a bargain price! :)

10. bossxii macrumors 68000

My brother in law has purchased refurbs for several years and other than one having some scratches on the bottom, zero issues. He took that to the Apple store as it did have a bit of a sharp burr or edge to one of them and they replaced for him. I purchased a ipod for a gift and no way to tell it wasn't a new unit.

11. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

As noted, there are always some horror stories with any possible computer purchase, but I am a fan of apple refurbs. I've bought them for myself and for work and have encouraged many others to do the same. They've always been in minty shape.

In sum, you get a like-new machine with a few hundred dollars in saving.

I doubt you'll regret it.

12. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Thumbs-up on the factory refurbs (direct from apple.) For all practical purposes, they may as well be new computers. Maybe better, because of the re-certification process. Definitely a great way to get a good price on stellar technology!

13. jofus macrumors member

I've had first hand experience with a refurb MBP direct from Apple (Early 08). Came and performed as new. No problems yet, either. As someone pointed out, the only downside is no nice box.

14. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

They're great products, but I'd still shop around. Sometimes a refurb plus tax and shipping from Apple will cost more than a brand new unit from a place like Amazon (no tax in most states, free shipping).

15. emt1 macrumors 65816

I bought my early 2008 MBP as a refurb. It looks and runs like a brand new computer, but without the cost. I'll never buy new again.