Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barnetda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hi

I am interested in the following Mac Pro from a friend of mine.

I use my current Mac for the usual stuff nothing to heavy as well as using windows via Parallels for my stock trading. I really like the idea of the mac Pro because i am able to upgrade the configuaration and i like the ability to have 4 internal hard drives for back up etc etc.

So the machine i have been offered is this.

Its a Mac Pro Xeon 64 Bit Workstation.
Mac Pro 2.8 GHZ QD 2GB 320 HD with ATI 2600
Its the MA97OLL/A model.

Is that a dual quad core or a single quad?

Any thoughts on that model?

Also it is approx 1 year old but has 2 years left on Applecare.

What would be a fair price?

Really appreciate it.

barnetda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Dallas, TX
I have the exact spec so i am sure that the price on mac2sell is right but i dont want to rip my friend off.
He bought the machine a year ago but its overkill for him so wants me to buy it.

I assume i can just get another 8gb or ram and some hd and i am good to go?

Do you guys think its a better buy than the current Mac Pros?

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
It is a very good buy because Apple increased prices on the current Nehalem Mac Pros.

If you want to improve the speed you should think about fitting a RAID0 array of SSDs.

For mass storage a 1-2 TB HD would do fine.

Your current HD would be fine for Windows.

barnetda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Dallas, TX
It is a very good buy because Apple increased prices on the current Nehalem Mac Pros.

If you want to improve the speed you should think about fitting a RAID0 array of SSDs.

For mass storage a 1-2 TB HD would do fine.

Your current HD would be fine for Windows.

Thats great info thanks.

I am beginning to understand it now. I dont think i could fit a RaidO as that is beyond me !!

When you say use my current HD you mean the HD thats in the mac pro already (the 320 gb one)?

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Yes, I was thinking about using the existing HD for Windows.

A RAID0 is actually very simple in a Mac Pro. It is done by simple drag and drop in the RAID section of disk utility.

You then clone the old boot disk again with disk utility or use the migration assi to shift the boot disk content to the RAID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.