Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2003
Hi all,

First off, I just want to say that I'm not trying to have a whine here about macbooks. I love mine, but I'm having a major problem and I just want to sort it out as soon as I can :)

I received my MacBook on the 31st May and had no problems with it. A little mooing every so often, but nothing that I couldn't easily deal with. However, on Saturday night (10th June) things start to go wrong. Basically, when I turn the machine on the keyboard is pretty much inoperative. It may register the first keypress, but then it thinks that I'm holding this key down. This occurs with any key - there aren't any that are particularly "sticky".

I managed to get hardware test to run and it didn't show any problems. Apart from this I'm screwed - I can't re-install OS X because I can't type my password in, and I can't use it to get on the interweb to try and find out what the problem is. So I guess this means that I'm going to have to give apple support a ring.

I've had the machine less than 14 days when this trouble started. Is it unfair to expect (or even demand) that Apple replace the machine rather than take it in to repair? As far as I'm concerned if it broke so quickly it wasn't fit to be sold. Problem is I'm not too got at complaining (officially :) ) so if anyone has any decent advice that would help me get results it'd be massively appreciated...

Cheers in advance!

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Knowing Apple's policies, they'll probably insist on repairing it instead of replacing it.

It's a strange problem. It can't be a physical problem with the keyboard since it affects all the keys. I'm not sure what it can be. Some wild guesses can be a problem with the wires, the motherboard or the OS drivers.

Phil_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2003
Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to try my luck and push for a replacement though, if at all possible.

If anyone's got any suggestions - the Apple UK Store has a couple of contact numbers, one for tech support and one for after-sales. Any ideas which of these would be best to phone first?

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
Phil_S said:
Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to try my luck and push for a replacement though, if at all possible.

If anyone's got any suggestions - the Apple UK Store has a couple of contact numbers, one for tech support and one for after-sales. Any ideas which of these would be best to phone first?

make something up about how you need to work with the machine asap. usually you can talk them into a replacement over a repair by making up stories. i know, i'm dishonest, sue me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.