Advice needed on external harddrive for data backup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dvader123, Aug 25, 2010.

1. dvader123 macrumors regular

I just lost all my data on my pc laptop. I've been planning to get a mbp15 for the longest time, but I learned a hard lesson about backing up my data.

I plan to use time machine to backup all my data and was wondering which harddrive is the best?

1. How much space do I need? 250gb, 500gb, 1tb?
    2. Should I get hhd or ssd?
    3. I am planning to get two mbps (one for me and one for my wife). Should I buy 2 harddrives for backups or can we use one harddrive and split it between the two of us?
    4. What is this RAID 0 and RAID 1 I keep reading about? Is it something that I should consider?

My wife and I are planning to use these laptops for basic work (e.g. word processing, powerpoint, excel, web browsing, keeping photos and videos, watching youtube videos, and checking email.) We don't use any super powerful applications like photoshop or final cut pro.

Thanks. Any advice is appreciated.

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

1. Depends on how much space you need, but since it's external, you'd probably go for at least 500GB if not more, more the merrier.
    2. HDD if it's external, no need to spend that much for a storage/back up drive. Capacity > speed when you're talking about external drives especially at the current prices.
    3. Buy two
    4. Don't bother with raid 0 etc...unless you're planning to remove the DVD drive in your MBP and placing another HDD in its place.

3. dvader123 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Vice92 macrumors regular

1. I would go for at least 1TB. Now a days, these drives are only about $60.
    2. Hard drive for mass storage.
    3. I think one hard drive will suffice, but two would be ideal just in case one goes down the other will still have a copy.
    4. I haven't delved into the realm of RAID setups and I see no reason to. I just use a internal hdd in an external enclosure. Works great.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

mybook world edition

[​IMG]

features?

Automatic and continuous backup for all the computers on your network
    Centralize all your family's digital content -
    Stream digital media anywhere in your home -
    View your photo collection with your iPhone -
    iTunes server support -
    Works seamlessly with both Windows and Mac computers - Access and save files seamlessly from both your Mac and your Windows computers.
    Best-in-class performance - My Book World Edition uses cutting-edge technologies to deliver high performance read and write speeds ideal for the most demanding users.
    Capacity gauge -
    //////
    jist: easy network attatched storage solution, automatic backups (dunno how robust it'll be though), Looks ok.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65