Advice needed on how to upgrade the hard drive on a brand new mac.

Tomhirvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
I have just received a 2012 MacBook Pro as an insurance replacement. It is still in the box but I want to upgrade the HDD immediately to an SSD.

I have nothing to import from an old Mac,I am starting fresh but just want to swap like for like. Will I have to copy whatever comes on the new HDD to the SSD before I swap it out?

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
If you have nothing on it, you don't have to transfer anything.

macOS can be installed via Internet Recovery or with a bootable USB installation drive.
Just to expand a bit on what JTToft said, simply pull out the old HDD, put in the SSD, boot holding cmd-r and follow the on screen instructions.

That's it.

Tomhirvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
No standard 2012 model. I removed the HDD today, inserted the SDD and went to Internet recovery. It got as far as asking which drive I wanted to put El Capitan on but there were no drives to select.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
No standard 2012 model. I removed the HDD today, inserted the SDD and went to Internet recovery. It got as far as asking which drive I wanted to put El Capitan on but there were no drives to select.
- Then you forgot to format it in Disk Utility beforehand. Do that and set it to OS X Extended (Journaled) and GUID.