Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morrisseyslad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Hi,

New to the forum really and I could do with a little help from all you guys that know your stuff. I'm thinking of buying a 27" iMac in a couple of days. I will either buy the new one for 1399 squids or a refurb from 2009 which is cheaper on the uk website. What do you guys think I should go for. The refurb is a couple of hundred cheaper. Will I really notice any difference in performance. I wont be playing games. Heavy user of films and YouTube etc that's all. Downloading of music and film also. Any advice would be appreciated. Anyone experience of both?

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
If you can afford the more expensive of the iMac, go for it.

I always find myself, when purchasing a computer, looking at money instead of what I would really enjoy and regret paying a few hundred dollars more after a few months and thinking how I could have had a more powerful one.

If price is a issue the cheaper one would suffice playing games but not at high settings. More in the medium settings. I'm saying this because of the price you listed.

Give more on what iMacs they are by letting us know the specs.

is it a Core 2 Duo, i5, i7... What are the graphics card?

morrisseyslad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and the 2010 3.2 intel core i3

I see where you coming from but I won't be playing games so will the diff specs matter?

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and the 2010 3.2 intel core i3

I see where you coming from but I won't be playing games so will the diff specs matter?

Oh I read it wrong. I thought you said you wanted to use it for gaming also.

With that said. I believe the Refurbished 27" 3.06GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo is sufficient for you to do all those things.

The core i3 is slightly better than the Intel Core 2 Duo but I don't believe it's worth the extra $200-$300 for the 2010 model.

So go with the refurbished. I am only saying this because you don't want to game with it. If you did, I would not recommend either.

But for those other uses that you stated, It would run perfect at doing those tasks.

morrisseyslad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
You have convinced me. One more question! If on Wednesday they launch a new osx should I wait until Wednesday so it's included or do refurbs not include new iLife etc? I'll buy it tonight I think! Thanks once again!

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
I have a 27" 2009 refurb iMac and it works great. It is used mostly for photo editing as I am a pro photographer and I have no performance complaints at all. For everything else I do it moves right along. I do not play games or edit movies and that is where the newer models will have an edge. For everything else it works great and was affordably priced. I upgraded the RAm myself.

If they do launch something new this week you will be grandfathered in to get it for free - you can call apple to verify this policy

brucem91

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2009
get the 3.06 C2D refurb, you will not be dissapointed. My mom has that model, and it is awesome. I know you say you don't play games, but if you ever were to, it would still run them pretty nicely. I've run photoshop a little, final cut, after effects, and nuke, with no problems whatsoever.

EDIT: I highly doubt that the next OS will be coming out this week. Noting apple's track record, it will take about a year after a previous release to ANNOUNCE the next one, at which developers are given a year to test their apps with the new OS. So we shouldn't expect 10.7 to be on shelves for about a year from now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.