Advice needed on Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dazed, Nov 20, 2007.

1. dazed macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Hi,

I'm currently a pc user and am considering my first mac. I was originally waiting for the new imac but that came with a glossy sceen and since I use photoshop for my photo editing I didn't want that. That led me to the mac pro but I'm going to wait for the refresh and its considerably more money than I want to spend at moment.

This leads me to the mac mini as a stop gap computer. I'm wondering how it will handle CS3 and lightroom. I don't use them professionally so as long as it runs at decent speed I'm good with it. I'm also curious how the mac mini compares to my 3 year old computer (AMD 3000 cpu, Gefore 6600GT graphic card and 1GB ram)

Thanks

2. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

Depends which mini you plan on getting. IMO, I would get the $799 one now, and upgrade the memory to 2GB - it's $150, and will really feel speedier.

I had an AMD in my old Windoze box, it was a 2.8GHz, I get an iMac at 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo (what Mac Mini's come with as well, but @ 2.0GHz), and the difference I feel is amazing.

You gotta make sure your CS3 is Mac version as well, I don't know how Adobe will be about it - probably make you buy a new copy if it's Windoze only.

Good luck, and welcome to the community! It's much nicer here :)