Advice Needed on Monitor for 12" Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jazz1, Oct 15, 2015.

1. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I'm thinking about adding a LCD monitor. One candidate is a curved screen from Dell. No, not a 4K. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

Those 3440 x 1440 34" 21:9 aspect ratio monitors from LG, Samsung, and now presumably Dell, have been widely reported as working well with the Retina MacBook.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

4. pmouritz macrumors member

How large do you want it to be? Personally I would go for a Dell U2515H or U2715H. They are absolutely stunning to look at! They have a nice design, the IPS panels are gorgeous and the price tag is affordable. According to other peoples experiences, you should be able to connect with Apples AV adapter through HDMI and get the 1440p resolution. Otherwise HDMI to DP would be sufficient from the AV adapter too. Disclaimer: I don't own a rMB or one of the monitors.. Yet. Regarding the monitors I use them at work and they are generally the ones I recommend people when asked. Nor am I a big fan of curved monitors but that's just my opinion ;)

5. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the Dell's out.

6. nickday macrumors member

I've got the Dell U2715H and its fantastic - so sharp and clear, colours are great, design looks very neat and height adjustable stand is very useful. Works fine at 1440 resolution with my rMB. :)

7. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

Sound like it works well. Are you using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse/trackpad, or just the laptop's keyboard and trackpad. Years ago I used an Apple laptop closed in that manner.

8. ericv macrumors regular

I got the chance to use the 34" Dell Curved on my 12" rMB. It was amazing, better than 4K. I like to run two apps on the screen at the same time in full screen mode. Game changer for me.

9. dyn macrumors 68030

If you don't have a tight budget it's worth checking out the displays from NEC and Eizo. Some of the NEC displays come with something they call DisplaySync Pro which is basically a built in KVM for 2 devices. Very useful addition. Also, these displays are known for their image quality.

Btw, you can still use clamshell mode with current Apple notebooks, just make sure you also connect the power adapter.

10. jmwagner95 macrumors newbie

I clamshell my 2015 rmbp with a thunderbolt display, and love it. If you don't need the newest, highest resolutions the thunderbolt display can be a good solution for you. Very simple connections, built in charging cable is a nice plus. I am a student and pop my laptop in and out constantly to take it to class, work, etc and then come home and clamshell it to use as my "desktop". They can be found used at reasonable prices on eBay.

best,
    john

11. lo100469 macrumors member

Thunderbolt display is not working with the 12 macbook. there is no way to go from USB-C to Thunderbolt. I use an old cinema display 23 that i like very much even it is 2005 technology....

12. jmwagner95 macrumors newbie

Noted, totally forgot about USB-C. sorry!

john