Advice needed on MyBook Essential external disk drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by georgi0, Aug 28, 2007.

1. georgi0 macrumors regular

georgi0

i am about to get an external 500 GB WD USB 2 hard drive "My book essential"
    the reason is that it powers off (sleep mode??) after 10 minutes of inactivity and because my airport extreme supports it.
    Spevs link is here: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=232&language=en

I need to know from anyone who tried the disk, opinions and recomendations regarding the power off and as far as noise levels and transfer speeds.

Given that my airport will work on the 802.11n, should i get a faster drive like a Firewire 400, and if so how can i connect it to my airport extreme?

thank you,,

2. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I have both the MyBook Essential and MyBook Pro which is the Essential with FW 800 and 400 ports. If you get one of these things, go for the latter. It is a no brainer if you want to connect directly to your Mac as the 800 speed is blindingly fast. The Essential is OK but transferring larger files to it is more time consuming and if you are connecting via AirDisk, well you'd better transfer your large files overnight because that's how long it will take.

I will also say that the drives are a little bit noisier than others that I've tried but not so noisy that you would not want to use them.