Advice needed on new MBP 15 - is it that cheap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdanz, May 13, 2013.

1. amitdanz, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013

amitdanz macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I intend to buy a new MBP for music production. I prefer the non-retina model (for later upgrades) and an anti-glare screen.
    I've found this model http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook-Pro/product~dpno~9529011~pdp.ibefgdj
    which is being sold for only $2,049, and it feels kinda fishy to me...

How come it is that cheap?
    Am I missing something?
    I know it's not the latest model - it's from mid 2012 - but still, it's specifications are quite impressive:
    Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro quad-core Intel Core i7 2.7GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400-rpm hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB GDDR5, Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display, Mac OS X Mountain Lion (MD546LL/A)

Also, I couldn't find the model number - MD546LL - in Apple's database.

Any idea?
    Thank you for your help.

2. Autrement macrumors regular

MacMall is a certified Apple retailer, and it's definitely a legitimate model- just google it and you get 20,000+ hits.

The cheapness is no doubt due to MacMall trying to discharge an excess of stock to clear up space for new notebook refreshes that everybody knows are coming this summer. A lot of the other third party sites are offering deep discounts on MBPs as well. It's just a good time to buy. If it's what you want, I say jump on it.

3. amitdanz thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Autrement macrumors regular

Apple has hundreds of model numbers that aren't listed on that page, because each time you have a different configuration of RAM, HD, Processor, Matte/Glossy, you have a different model number. There are a lot more than two models for an entire release. If you scroll down the list of computers here, every one of them has a different model number www.macmall.com/s?prc=[1000.00%20TO%20999999999.00]

I'm still not sure what you're afraid of exactly- If you click on the Technical Specs from your MacMall link it gives you all the relevant details and specs, the exact same as the other link you sent. It's the current model, mid-2012, and you can build the exact same computer with same specs by going to the Apple store right now.

5. amitdanz thread starter macrumors newbie