Advice needed on processor speed for new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacFanJeff, Apr 16, 2008.

1. MacFanJeff macrumors regular

I know pretty much what specs I want on my new 2008 Mac Pro, but I am uncertain as to rather or not to upgrade the processor to 3.0 Ghz.

Basically, the Mac Pro will be used for Dreamweaver, some minor video editing and LOTS of 3D rendering such as Poser, Vue 6, ZBrush, etc. I was leaning to the 3.0 CPU, but I think maybe the stock 2.8 Ghz will be fine. Some of those software makers say their software will work OK with 10.5 OS BUT only take advantage of 4GB of memory and anything beyond that it won't see. Also, while they are updated and work fine with current Macs and Leopard, they may not take FULL advantage of the multi core CPUs until later. That is why I was leaning to the 2.8 and saving $800 but if anyone uses 3D software a lot or sees why I need to invest in a faster CPU than the stock 2.8 please let me know.

What my thinking was maybe Summer 2009 if I REALLY need to upgrade with a new Mac Pro and just getting the 2.8 for now. Any thoughts on this for processor speed or any other tips for buying the Mac Pro now?

Thanks.

2. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

as the owner of a 3.2 I am of the opinion that if you can afford the 3.0 go for it, you can always sell the machine when you upgrade next year.

3. rolex54 macrumors 6502

the real world effects of that extra 200MHz is going to be very minimal, if one at all

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

IMO the Mac Pro's CPU upgrade options are totally worthless for the price they are asking for them :rolleyes:

See this for benchmarks

5. rdbarnes macrumors newbie

As the owner of an 3.0 GHz 8-core Mac Pro (2007), I recommend saving the $$ and go with the 2.8 GHz 8-core model. You are going to see better performance on your Mac Pro than I see on mine because the 800MHz memory makes more of a difference than the 6.6% increase in processor frequency.