Advice needed on upgrading a Macbook 2.1 13" 2ghz 1gb with a drive failure

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MR.305, Apr 4, 2010.

1. MR.305 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I've had my iPhone 3g 8gb since June 2008 and loved every minute of it. It's been through it all. Even dropped out of a helicopter last week. Ok it was only a fall of around 6ft but still, it sounds epic.

I've recently gotten a hold of a Macbook 2.1 2ghz 13" white. It's a late 2006 model and the drive has failed. I planned on replacing the drive myself and apple have kindly sent me the recovery dvds free of charge. Tiger 10.4.11.

I read on here about the extended replacement scheme for failed drives on here last night and I think I qualify, however I may still put my own drive in it. Out of my stick just to get things moving along. Once that has been done I plan on upgrading to snow leopard 10.6. I'm curious to find out what drives this machine will support and how much ram it will take and benefit from.

Thanks in advance.

-305-

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It uses 2.5" SATA drives so you can get up to 640GB and it supports up to 2GB of RAM

3. MR.305 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the limiting factor for only 2gb of ram?

Thanks

4. gboswellsac macrumors member

I do not know about the extended replacement but I put 4GB and a 500GB drive in mine. Mine was only a 1.83 Mhz core 2 duo. Gave it to my son and moved the memory and drive to my Black Macbook. Getting the white unibody I had to buy ddr3 memory (8GB, apple said 4GB max, OWC said 8GB max) so I put a 500GB 7200 drive in it. It just gets better and better.