Advice needed on what to inspect when buying a used Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cptpowder, Oct 5, 2011.

1. cptpowder macrumors newbie

Im interested in buying a used MacBook, MBP or MBA. What should I inspect besides turning it on and overall general condition? RUn a diagnostic on it or what?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Check the battery life/health, and make sure it isn't swelling.

Check functionality of all the ports.

Check that the speakers aren't blown out.

Inspect the screen carefully for dead/stuck pixels or signs of a bad video adapter.

Check the hard disk for errors.

Make sure you can read and write optical media.

Inspect the power cord carefully for fraying or hot spots.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

There is a dealer in my neighborhood that sells used Macs. He overcharges when compared to what you would pay on ebay but I like having a store to "stand behind" my purchase. The problem is he also has a "no refunds" policy. Another problem is that when I download and run geekbench on his machines, they consistently score far below the scores listed on primatelabs.ca for the equivalent machines. OTOH, when I'm in the Apple store, if I download and run geekbench on any machine, it scores within a few percent of the scores listed on primatelabs.ca. I don't consider geekbench scores to be that representative of what I do, but they do provide a way to compare the performance of different machines or more importantly to spot a machine that isn't quite running up to par.

hope this helps...

4. ThemacNub macrumors regular

The best advice is to run system profiler so you can check to see if the computer is as advertised spec wise

5. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

have a good sniff and make sure it doesn't reek of anything unpleasant.