Advice needed please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Praksis, Jan 11, 2012.

  1. Praksis macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2011
    Location:
    Portugal
    #1
    Hi.

    1st of all, sry if i'm posting this on the wrong section...

    Now... my question...

    I would really like your advice/opinion on the following:

    My current "mobile" setup is a 2009 15" Macbook Pro, so it's about time i update it a bit. Also putting together the useful (upgrading my mobile setup) with the "good" (my mom that is now 72 years young wants to learn how to use a computer so she can communicate with me and my sisters in a easier way, so, since she will only be browsing some sites, using Skype and mail, i will give her my Macbook Pro instead of her spending a lot of money on a new machine).

    With hat said, and since i don't really need that much "power" on the move (got a very well equipped Mac Pro at home to do the heavy lifting) i'm leaning towards a Macbook Air.

    The setup i've chosen at this point is the following:

    Macbook Air 11"
    Intel Core i7 dual-core at 1.8Ghz
    128Gb SSD drive
    Ethernet adaptor (have to since my work does not use wireless connections due to security issues)
    Superdrive

    Those are all the "extras", other than that it's the standard setup (4Gb RAM, HD 3000 graphics card, and so on...)

    My big question is:

    -> Is it "safe" to buy now or should i wait a bit for some further hardware upgrades?

    I can postpone buying it for up to 3 months, so at best i'll buy it in mid April.

    I know that if i want a machine with more "muscle" i can always go for a Macbook Pro, but since i don't rly need that "muscle", my question here is more based on the fact that it would really tick me off if i bought it today and early next month the base memory would have been doubled or the graphics card would have been upgraded...

    Anyways, any and all opinions/advice/help is very appreciated.

    Thank you all in advance.
     
  2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

    SmurfBoxMasta

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2005
    Location:
    I'm only really here at night.
    #2
    If you need it now, buy it now :)

    The next round of Intel's CPU updates are not due until April-May-June anyways........

    The graphics in the Air are already pretty good, so I doubt if they will get any huge upgrades for a good while yet, and memory is dirt cheap right now, so I wouldn't make that an issue at this point either.


    good luck with your purchase :)
     
  3. TjeuV macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2011
    Location:
    Belgium
    #3
    Since the performance isn't that big of a deal, it won't sting so much if there's going to be an update anyway right? So yea, buy it now. The more you postpone, the closer you'll get to an update and have less time to enjoy having "the latest" model.
     

Share This Page