Advice needed regarding my 'ruined' 3 month old MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simon88, Oct 13, 2010.

  1. simon88 macrumors newbie

    Feb 28, 2010
    In Aprill as soon as the core i3 MBP 15" came on sale i brought one after waiting so long and was exceedingly happy. Until my girlfriend spilled tea over the keyboard after 3 months. It was under applecare so i sent it off for a repairable fee. As i was a student the fee for repair out seeded the actual price i brought it for by 400 pounds due to damage to the HD, battery and motherboard, therefore its 'ruined'. However i have a 15" screen and case which is hardly 3 months old with no marks on it at all. In order to soften the blow of losing my laptop does anyone recommend where i may get some money for the shell / screen ?

    Also if / when i can afford a new one for work (no longer a student) can i swap the applecare i got for my old one to the new one ?


  2. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    eBay or craigslist, or the equivalent in the UK.
  3. mulo macrumors 68020


    Aug 22, 2010
    Behind you
    applecare follows the machine, not the person. so no
  4. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

    May 12, 2010
    Why do so many people drink right over or next to there Macs? Me I keep my drinks a good distance away from my Mac and all other hardware. We have 3 laptops, 3 PC's, 4 360's, 1 PS3 and 1 Wii and none get liquid near them. Take care of your stuff man.
  5. citizenal macrumors regular

    Apr 25, 2010
    Haha, I think exactly the same way as you. Though, who is to say that his gf/fiance/wife doesn't put something next to it while he's in the crapper and when she goes to pick it up she spills it all over his computer. I am very careful with my gadgets, my s/o, not so much. :(
  6. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

    May 12, 2010
    My wife and daughter do the same thing. We hate paying for stuff a second time. Hell my daughters 8 and she know better.
  7. Opstech macrumors 6502a


    Jan 5, 2010
  8. chrisperra macrumors member


    Jun 29, 2006
    You should be able to call AppleCare Agreement Admin (it should be in the legalese you got when you registered AppleCare, or you can call AppleCare and have them transfer you) and ask to have a prorata refund issued. They will most likely just ask for a Proof of Purchase of the AppleCare, and you should be on your way. Good luck.
  9. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502


    Dec 31, 2009
    New Jersey
    You think with all the horror stories people would learn to not drink around their laptops.... Hmmmm

Share This Page