Advice needed regarding resolutions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gazfocus, Mar 13, 2009.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I currently have an 23" Apple Cinema Display which I have now sold to a MacRumors member but I am now on the look out for something to replace it as circumstances have yet again changed. In particular, I have bee looking at both the Dell 2209WA which has an e-IPS panel, and the Samsung SM2443BW which has (I believe) a TN panel.

On panel quality, I am siding with the Dell but my main concern is going down from a 1920 x 1200 resolution to 1680 x 1050. Can anyone advise me on this as I am not sure whether it would be an issue or not, so looking for peoples experiences really.

Thanks in advance.

2. TenFour macrumors member

Just returned a Samsung 240T, the viewing angle was not good in my opinion; plus it used dithering to mimic 16.7 million colors. My best advice would be panel type over panel size. An ips 22" will make you far happier than a TN 24" in my experience. Perhaps you should look around for the recently discontinued Apple Cinema Display 20", deals are sure to be had, and it feels more like a 22" than a 20" due to its widescreen format and unobtrusive frame. The Samsung was not without its merits, but the Apple offering is in a league of its own. As you've owned a 23" ACD, I'm sure you can attest to the quality, and a move to Samsung, despite the gain in size, will not be as pleasing as you might think.