Advice needed regarding the 27" ACD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ungibbed, May 8, 2011.

1. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I've already ordered this monster monitor along with a keyboard and laptop stand.

My worries though are is how well my 13" MBP can push this thing in "closed" fashion. Sure it has the Nvidia 320m and I've upgraded the memory to 8GB, but just wondering if performance will suffer in Photoshop and perhaps some light gaming (Halo CE, Bioshock).

I know the internal/shared GPU may not have the muscle to run native resolution with no FSAA but for average desktop use, is this wise? Or should I just buy the entry level iMac? Between the two purchases, is only around $200 more for the iMac. But after spending time and money on my 13" MBP, I want to make the most of it (massive workspace at home and great portability on the road)

Anyone using the 27" ACD with their 13" MacBook Pros. If so, any impressions on it's performance? :confused:

2. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I have a 30 inch Dell ultrasharp that is used by my wife and I. My wife uses a 13 inch unibody Macbook Pro with the older 9400 nVidia integrated GPU and it runs flawlessly.

3. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Don't worry.

4. Ungibbed thread starter macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Thanks guys, can't wait for it to arrive next week :D

I wonder if my 320m would choke if I tried to run the game at native resolution. It sure would look purday...

GTA San Andreas shouldn't be a problem ;)

I just can't wait to have some real workspace in Photoshop, iMovie and GarageBand.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, it would likely throw a fit if you tried to run just about any game at native res.

6. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I have a similar question as well. (I'm planning on purchasing an Ivy Bridge MBP 15" in the future but I'm planning ahead now.)

I might be using the MBP for some serious gaming (Can't get a desktop because I will be living in different locations throughout the year.) though and was wondering how it would handle gaming on a big screen. (21" 1440 x 900)

Would it be possible for me to 'shut down' one of the screens while I'm gaming to maintain optimum performance for the laptop?

Example specs: (Current gen MBP)
    2.2GHz quad-core
    Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Just as well as it does on the internal screen. SIze doesn't matter, pixels do.
    A 15 inch 1440x900 needs same amount of computing power as a 21 inch 1440x900.

Yes, you can shut down one screen, both in Mac OSX or Windows (bootcamp), It does require you to have an external keyboard tho.

8. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

I have the 27" ACD and just one thing...when you disconnect your mbp, don't put it to sleep beforehand. I discovered that you do not need to put the computer to sleep before disconnecting with this monitor. If you put it to sleep, and then attempt to wake it up, the screen is sometimes black as the computer thinks you are still using the monitor. If you read Apple's instructions on using the 24 or 27" Aluminum Cinema displays with these monitors, it says that these displays do not require you to sleep it before disconnecting. I didn't realize this at first, and was worried when I was presented with a black screen after sleeping and disconnecting from the monitor. Now, I just disconnect it and then put it to sleep. :)

9. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Yeah, just unplug it.