Advice needed: remote wipe/install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlackNBlue72, Feb 21, 2014.

1. BlackNBlue72 macrumors newbie

Didn't want to bring up my old thread since the topic has somewhat changed. So just a recap: I spilled tea all over my rMBP and it no longer functions correctly. I want to sell it, but I must first wipe and reinstall OS X. Problem is, the display on the rMBP doesnt turn on, so I have to use an external display. Well the startup manager (cmd-r) , or whatever it's called, does not get recognized when connected to external display, So it's not possible for me to boot into recovery and do it that way.

So my plan is to download SuperDuper onto the rMBP and create a copy of the startup files (not the user data, it is not important) onto an external HDD. Then, I will boot the rMBP from the startup files on the external HDD and wipe the internal HDD "remotely".

My question/issue is that I don't know what to do after I wipe the internal HDD. How do I reinstall OS X to the internal HDD once it is clean? Will it prompt me after it is wiped? Remember, I have to do all this from the program accessible from the "desktop" since I cannot open the recovery manager.

----------

Also, for what it's worth this is the only MBP I have owned. And I didn't use it very extensively. I am traditionally a Windows guy so all this Apple terminology is confusing to me. This is also the first time I have ever messed with startup partitions.

2. dhazeghi macrumors member

No, it won't prompt you. If you disconnect the external drive after formatting the internal one, it will simply not boot. Can't you just create a Mavericks installer disk from the external drive? Then you just change the Startup device in System Preferences, and reboot.

3. BlackNBlue72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you elaborate on what this means and how to do it exactly? I have never done this before, certainly not on a Mac. I don't know what Mavericks installer disk is. I am definitely open to easier options...whatever securely wipes the HDD and moves me to the next step in selling it!

Thanks

4. BlackNBlue72 thread starter macrumors newbie

My bad. The anti-glare screen cover on my iPhone prevented me from seeing your link. Lol. Thanks

5. BlackNBlue72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now, can someone please enlighten me as to what Mavericks actually is? Is it just an updated version of OS ? Do I have to pay for it? I would like to just put the OS that came with the rMBP back on it. The current version on it is (I believe) 10.8.5?

Is the process the same for earlier versions of OS X as to creating a boot drive?

6. BlackNBlue72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok sorry for all these silly posts in a row, but I am trying to work through this with all the other stuff I have going on.

I have done a little more research on Mavericks and the installer and I understand now. But how can I do a secure wipe at the same time? From my understanding you boot from the installer which will allow me to reinstall Mavericks but this is not a very secure way to wipe the data, is it?

7. dhazeghi macrumors member

Yeah, the process (as seen in the link) is similar for earlier versions. But since Mavericks is a free upgrade, there's really no reason not to put the latest on there.

Well, you boot from the external disk with the installer and then you can use the Disk Utility program to wipe the internal drive before performing the install.

8. BlackNBlue72 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I'm still not entirely understanding this. Just so we are clear, I am going to buy a new 8gb USB stick for the purpose of the installer. I am not going to use my external HDD anymore because I forgot you have to format it. So the only thing I will have on the USB stick is the Mavericks installer. It will NOT have any sort of data backup on it or anything. So what exactly happens when you boot from the installer file via USB stick? Does it take you to the desktop or....? So confused.

9. dhazeghi macrumors member

It takes you into the installation program for MacOS X. It's basically a substitute for booting from CD/DVD, as we used to for OS installations. Once it's booted and the installer program is loaded, you can select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and secure erase your main partition. Then follow the installer's instructions which basically consist of selecting the partition you want to install to.

Honestly, if you just want to clean your private stuff, there are easier solutions. Create a new user account, delete your current one, delete the old user's directory, and use 'Erase Free Space' in Disk Utility. Maybe use Onyx to clean up any log files and caches as well.