Quick intro: Since about 2-2.5 years I'm using a late 2009 Mac Mini as my primary computer (the most basic configuration + a manual upgrade to 4GB of RAM) in combination with a 24inch Full HD screen, but obviously this isn't a high-end machine (and I notice lag in various situations on a daily basis) and I've finally been able to put aside enough money to afford an update. For a long time I've been waiting for the 2012 iMac update, as I think that you get the most bang for your buck with an iMac (especially considering the awesome screen you get), but since the release of the Retina MacBook Pro and the update of the regular MacBook Pro I have been thinking more and more about trading in the extra bit of power and screen real estate for the mobility of a laptop. I'll still wait and see if there will be an iMac update together with the Mountain Lion update and what the update brings, but unless there is a significant difference in performance, I still tend more towards a MacBook Pro than anything else. I have been doing a lot of reading here on the forums and elsewhere since the update/release, trying to decide whether the classical or retina version would be better suited for me, but haven't come to a definite conclusion, even though, at the moment, I tend more towards the high-end classic MacBook pro. Now a quick overview what I would like to do with the machine: -I work as a freelance front-end developer that also occasionally ventures into web/graphic design and back-end development. This means I work a lot with text-editors, various browsers (mainly Google Chrome though), run local servers (think mamp) as well as Photoshop (and occasionally Illustrator). I also would like to use more VMs, which I don't really do much at this point (apart from a small VirtualBox Windows XP install) due to insufficient hdd space (I have a grand total of 160GB). -I do the usual personal stuff you do on a computer, e.g. browsing, watching/streaming movies/serials, listening to music, text editing, (video) chatting, etc. -I also like to play the occasional game. I don't have to play the latest and greatest stuff at the highest settings, but it shouldn't go into its knees right away either. This isn't my main concern, but the more power a computer has in this regard, the better. Currently I only play a few mac steam games, but eventually I would like to run windows via bootcamp to have a broader selection. Here are my thoughts in regards to Classic vs Retina: -If I were to take the Retina Version, I would take the base Retina version. I'm also thinking about upgrading to 16GB, as I won't be able to upgrade later on and I do a lot of multi-tasking, but it's a bit over my ideal budget. -If I were to the take the classic MacBook Pro, I would take the High-End Version with the hi-res antiglare screen. Eventually I would like to increase the ram (when and if necessary) and add a ssd drive instead of the dvd drive (also not right away). -I love the new form factor of the retina macbook pro. I love how light and slim it is and I also think the improved cooling system is amazing. I don't really need a dvd drive either. I am currently using ethernet instead of wifi for the improved speeds/latency, but this isn't a huge concern of mine (as there is the dongle). -The fact that the classic version MacBook Pro is so upgradable is a huge plus. Upgrading ram, hard drive(s) or replacing the battery can all be done by myself at a much better price point. All in all it's much more serviceable (and as I live in a country without an official apple store/just resellers, it makes things a lot easier) -I would rather have more than the 256GB storage space that come with the retina by default. I'm managing with 160GB and an external 1TB hard drive at the moment, but it is limiting and 256GB aren't that much more. Unfortunately I really can't afford an expensive ssd upgrade from apple nor can I do a manual upgrade myself. -I'm also concerned about some of the performance issues related to the retina display, both in terms of day by day usage (scrolling in safari using the Intel HD4000 graphics) as well as during gaming. -Finally I'm also unsure about so many apps and web sites not being retina-ready yet. Obviously this will get better over time, but I feel like I should maybe wait until my next computer update to get a retina enabled computer. I'd really appreciate any advice that others that have already made the decision (or are still pondering themselves) can give me.