Advice needed: sharing my MFP scanner

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jazzman25, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Jazzman25 macrumors member

My faithful Canon mp610 is connected to my home network via the USB port on my AEBS. So far I was able to overcome the lack of support for scanning over the AEBS USB port by connecting my imac to the printer directly on the few occasions I needed to scan stuff. Now since my second boy is born, I had to move the printer (and the AEBS) to the hall hence connecting over a cable is no longer possible. Before I splash 150 Euros to replace my printer with a networked one, I am trying to see if there isn't another solution. Some options considered:
    - Replace my AEBS with an wireless router that does support scanning (is there one? I guess there are routers that include a proper print server)?
    - Get a NAS (is already on my future shopping list so prefer to do that than replace my printer). Checking the web Synology doesn't support the scanner function.
    I saw some info about getting SANE to work on MAC OS X (that can also be installed on a NAS eventually). I tried installing the OS X SANE packages, but still no luck.

Any ideas are welcome!

2. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

AFAIK there is no way to get a USB scanner working over a network.
    Network document scanners do exist but they are quite expensive.
    The only other option I can think of is to use a USB extension cable that works over ethernet.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Edimax makes USB multifunction print servers, both wired and wireless, that work with OSX.

The price may rival that of a new printer though, so depending on how much you prefer to keep your current printer, it may be easier to replace it.

That said, I have one of their wired MFP print servers and it's been working well for my needs.

Edit: Upon further inspection of the product specs, it seems the wireless adapter's MFP functions are only compatible with Windows. The wired adapter will work with OSX however.

4. Jazzman25 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for this. This more or less fits what I thought. I already looked at the Edimax products and as you say they are not cheap. For this price I'll replace my printer I think...

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Sounds like a good idea. You could also sell your old printer to recoup some of the cost. Or you may want to keep it as a backup in case something happens to the new one. But take it from somebody who's been there, it's much less hassle buying a network printer from the start :p