Advice Needed - Sold iPhone 3G on eBay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freep, Jul 3, 2010.

1. freep macrumors member

Looking for some advice - I recently sold my iPhone 3G on eBay and have since withdrawn the cash from PayPal into my bank account so that I could buy an iPhone 4. However, today I received an email from the buyer saying that the item is faulty because it keeps freezing and they would like a refund. The phone never used to freeze with me but it is 2 years old so can the buyer really use this as a reason to demand a refund? Do you think I will have a leg to stand on if I refuse?

2. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

You already took the money out of pay pal, he's probably having buyers remorse... Ignore the buyer.

3. freep thread starter macrumors member

Trouble is I dont want PayPal to just end up doing a chargeback as that will take my account overdrawn and they are known to send debt collectors around for that.

4. C8XY macrumors 6502

Tell them to do a restore, if they want a refund they would have to send it back at their cost and pay ALL FEES.
    If the phone was marked it would go back to them.
    That's what I would do. So many losers/dreamers on eBay, don't waste too much of your time.

5. player2 macrumors member

I would try to verify that it is in fact broken. If so I would probably give the money back if not then no dice.

6. Wolfmore macrumors member

Wolfmore

Sorry but if you promised money back guarantee (which sounds like you did) then you don't have leg to stand on.

7. freep thread starter macrumors member

I did state on the listing that it was no returns but obviously this doesnt apply to faulty items. I just think its very difficult to prove either way that a phone freezes.

8. watercrawl macrumors newbie

Or they could send you back a phone that wasn't even the one you sent them. Did you write down the serial/esn numbers?

9. VTAb182 macrumors regular

Have them take a video of it freezing. And if they do want a refund, wouldn't they have to send you the phone back? If that happens, just sell it again and hope not to get someone who will try to scam you again.

10. lfc200 macrumors member

how long ago did you sell it? Check has he jailbroken the phone and what he's installed as most know some apps can freeze the phone they have on my 3g numerous times!! Check what os he's running etc and see could any of these be causing the freezes if you never had any freezing problems with it!!

11. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

This is a common scam. Tell him to send the phone back to you. When you get it in hand in the same condition you sold it, then and only then, refund the money.

BUT - test it, if it doesnt freeze, don't refund it.

Have him email you a video of symptom.

When you sell something, only sell to people with plenty of BUYS and good feedback. Cancel all others.

You can sell an iPhone on Craig's List in one day for good money - cashola!

12. freep thread starter macrumors member

It sold on 17th and I posted on 18th June. I guess I will ask them to try a restore first. I dont think the buyer is a scammer because I made sure that they have lots of positive feedback and a verified address. It just annoys me that eBay is such a minefield.

13. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

Have them go to their local Apple Store and have the Apple Store do a diagnostic on it, Have them get the Apple Store to notate on paperwork that the iPhone 3G is faulty. If this is not done let them know as stated all sales are final.

Apple store will do this. I had this happen before and they said their local Apple store wouldn't do it. ( I found out their local Apple Stores to call them and make sure they all said this is something they will do)

Ebay and Paypal ruled in my favor.

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Always good to post on your auction that "phone works fine, sold as is" or "no refunds".

If he wants to return it....if you let him, i would tell him to pay any fees and you wont send refund til you recieve the phone and verify it is working since it was working when you sent it.

15. kolax macrumors G3

eBay is like that. Such a hassle.. and they usually always side with the buyer. As a seller, you have little ground to stand on.

Ask for a video, ask for a photo of the serial number. If things really don't look like they are going your way, then ask the buyer if he'd like to renegotiate a price. Means you'll lose a bit money (depending if it is a fair offer), but far better than him filing a dispute, eBay/PayPal siding with the buyer and you having to pay the postage back.

16. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

You don't have to worry about a thing because eBay clearly states "Buy at your own risk" and when purchased, all sales are final. Write him back stating he had to have done something wrong and all sales are final.

17. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

That's a good idea too.

18. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

Yep they do an estimate report and print it out showing you costs for repairs. Thats all the buyer needs to produce.

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

These days the buyer holds all the cards. Get him to send it back and resell it to another buyer. Paypal will fall firmly on his side if he insists it is broken.

20. freep thread starter macrumors member

Thats what im worried about. If I refuse now and PayPal side with the buyer (which they always seem to) then I will lose the fees but if I just refund it then I can claim the fees back.

21. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Goodeye gave you the best advice. Tell him to go to an Apple store and have them check it out and get a full report - that will prove whether or not he/she is lying.