Advice Needed: SSD Upgrade Once Again

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IronMac, Dec 27, 2011.

1. IronMac macrumors newbie

On Xmas day I tried replacing my stock 500 gig HD in my 2010 15" MBP with an SSD as a boot drive and a 750 gig HD in place of the SuperDrive. It did not go very well with a lot of my settings going missing.

So, am trying once again today.

First, using CCC I cloned my original 500 gig HD to the new 750 gig HD. The cloning worked fine when I popped the 750 into the MBP and booted up. Everything worked as expected.

Second, using CCC I cloned everything from the original 500 gig HD to the 120 gig SSD except for the "Users" folder. I then popped the SSD into my MBP and booted up.

At this point, should I be able to plug in the new 750 gig HD that is in an external FW case and have the System navigate to it as described in the following link?

http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-move-the-home-folder-in-os-x-and-why/

Or should I simply take out the SuperDrive and put in the 750 in its place and then follow the instructions in the above link? With the SSD still the boot drive. Of course, I am more than willing to consider an alternative course of action. Thanks.

2. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Hey I'm not sure about why many people like you want to put your user folder on your HDD....why create more work for the system and use more power when you can gain battery life with the SSD.....? I have done the dual drive setup.

My SSD Holds:
    - OS, Apps, User folder(Containing all my docs/files/half my most used music), Downloads folder etc

My HDD Holds:
    - Partition 1: Storage (HFS+Journaled) 350GB
    1) Torrents
    2) Music(that I don't listen to often at all)
    3) Saved Downloads that are big in size....
    4) Documents, Files, etc that are important but not accessed as often

- Partition 2: Bootcamp Win7 Ultimate 150GB

I do Time Machine Backups every 1-2 weeks of the SSD only, As failure would have no affect on my HDD...

My HDD is set to sleep in 5mins after my last access to it....that way it is not spinning and wearing out all the time....Also gives me a battery life boost of ~1hr....compared to having both drives up......

I Personally think my setup is amazing! My SSD is 180GB but so far I am only using 60GB....mainly because any large files I download to my SSD I move them to my HDD....that keeps my SSD clean n free

3. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I also agree that it's a lot more straightforward to leave the users folder (albeit empty or near empty) on the SSD and make a pseudo-users folder on the HDD.

I changed the preferences for my apps to use the pseudo-users folder on the HDD. I didn't need a more complicated setup like the OP's link with worries about permissions. I also didn't make any symbolic links and my setup works well and is direct.

4. IronMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, but aside from the "setup" of what I am proposing, I'm good to go right?

5. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

im having trouble with the trim support on my intel ssd that i just put in the optical bay. any suggestions? it came with a disk but its a mini disk. and the download that i found from intel are telling me to burn them onto a disk and install it that way (which i have no clue on how to do).

6. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Not sure about Trim...I haven't turned it on for my Corsair Force 3 SSD....Works fine without it....As for you...maybe try the Trim Enabler its been updated for Lion Support and completely rewritten....your better off posting on that thread....

7. IronMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Got tired of waiting for an answer so I decided to just go ahead:

The upgrade this morning went very smoothly! My only problem so far seems to be that I have encountered the same problem as someone else did in this article:

http://macenstein.com/default/2011/06/review-mce-optibay-hard-drive-kit-for-unibody-macbook-pro/

I am getting this error when I launch iTunes:

"You do not have enough access privileges for this operation."

Does anyone know how to fix this? The macinstein author says "had to actually do a Get Info on my User folder, and re-add myself as a user in order to launch it". Does he mean going to my Home Folder -> Get Info -> selecting myself under "Name" -> deleting myself then adding myself back on?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated and thanks for bearing with me as I try to finish this upgrade!

8. IronMac thread starter macrumors newbie