Advice needed : TBD to use with MBA 11 or 13?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by walterr, Jun 21, 2012.

1. walterr macrumors newbie

Hi everybody

Hope you guys can help me on this one
    I am the owner of an aging MBP 15 (4 years old) which is getting slow and is pretty heavy.

I am a writer/journalist and spend most time working on my computer from home which is why I wanted a large screen in the first place but I could not buy an IMac because I need to travel on a regular basis and take my mac with me.

I work mostly on scrivener (text) and do web browsing (lots of videos) and music but no heavy image or video editing (no photoshop or final cut)

I am considering going the MBA + TBD route to get the best of both worlds.
    (my current MBA 15 is really heavy to carry around, especially when I want to get away from home for a couple of hours so I end up never leaving home when I need to work).

My questions are : will a MBA 11 be sufficient as a primary computer for professional use?
    The portability looks great, kinda like an iPad but if I need to take the power chord with it, it sort of defeats the purpose.
    Is it a good idea/a good time to pair it with a TBD or should I wait for the next TBD update?

Money is not really an issue at this point but I don't want my purchases to be obsolete in year.

my options are:

Option 1:
    MBA 11 + TBD

Option 2 :
    MBA 13 + TBD

Option 3:
    MBA 13. Wait for the next generation of TBD.

Option 4 : Option 2 + iPad when I want to be on the go for the day. (knowing the main software I am working on is not available on iPad so that means file transfers to pages etc)

Option 5: Option 3 + Ipad

An input?
    Thank you very much.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

i've got a friend who's got an older 11" he's mentioned that he won't have to take the power cord with him if it's a shorter day, 6-8 hours is to be expected.

keep in mind the 1.7 processor in the 11 is probably similar in performance to a 4 year old 2.1 maybe higher. so speed wise it will probably be close or a bit faster than what you have.

if you have access to an apple store, check out the different sized screens, see if the 11 will be big enough for you. and try typing on the keyboards.

i would wait on the TB display, as i would hope the would refresh in the next 6 months to include USB3.

i would think carrying a guitar around would get heavy after a while.