Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Hello all!

I need advice on what to do. I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 running 4.1 with the older bootrom still. It is driving me nuts with proximity sensor problems. I can't make a call without hanging up, putting the call on mute, or hitting some other button with my face because the damn proximity sensor is not working right on my iphone. 4.1 update did nothing to fix it. And reading other threads in this forum, people advise getting a replacement if it's that bad. So I think I'm about at this point, I'm very frustrated.

But what to do on bringing it in. I know I can fresh install factory firmware and that should hide all the jailbreaking I did, but it also deletes all the data they may pull for diagnostics. Should I install factory firmware and just set up as a new phone and use it like this for a few days before taking it in?

Sorry, I'm just not sure what to do in this situation.

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
I'm not sure there are any diagnostics which are relevant if you factory restore.

Importantly, you want to be able to demonstrate to the Apple store that your iPhone does IN FACT have the proximity sensor issue. Thus, before you take it in, restore and TEST that you can replicate the problem for them.

That is all I would reccomend you do.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE IN A JB'D PHONE.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
If you plan to get a replacement, do it soon before 4.2 is release. You would want a phone that comes with 4.1 so it could easily be JB and be able to save SHSH will Apple is still signing them. Just restore it to stock as new device and bring it in to the store.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
If you plan to get a replacement, do it soon before 4.2 is release. You would want a phone that comes with 4.1 so it could easily be JB and be able to save SHSH will Apple is still signing them. Just restore it to stock as new device and bring it in to the store.

yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking.

I may clean install it tomorrow, see if I can "replicate it", and go from there. I'm not real sure how to replicate it, I guess i can call up some 800 number and hold it to my face tilting it around.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
I would just clean restore, and bring it in. Tell them you did a restore before you came in, whats the difference? Its your prerogative. If it has problems, it has problems.

You want to get one while apple is still signing 4.1 SHSH so do it FAST!

calvy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
well i restored in prep to take it in and tested it by making a few calls. sure enough it wont do it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.