Advice needed! Use of tv as a second screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by laurielol, Nov 21, 2012.

1. laurielol macrumors newbie

Ok so basically I wonder if its possible to run a lead from my desk which is located on one side of the room to my TV which is located fixed to the wall. The whole reason for this is to stream "Sky" to the TV.

If its possibly what lead shall I get?

Product details:- new iMac 21.5 & HD TV (not a smart TV)

Thanks in advance!

2. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

After 6ft.... HDMI cords looses quality

Don't quote that on me

3. skyenet macrumors regular

skyenet

You could also buy an :apple: TV box and Airplay Mirror the video from your iMac to your TV.. The :apple: TV will also turn your TV into a semi-Smart TV :cool:

4. itsmrjon macrumors regular

the HDMI interconnect is digital and not analog, therefore distance will not 'degrade' signal in the traditional sense. In reality it will be more of a 'it works' or 'doesnt work' situation.

Much of the quality comes from the decoder of the unit on the other end.
    You can do a full read here http://www.avsforum.com/t/794088/clarifications-on-hdmi-cables

But to answer your question, buy the correct length cable which has the correct specification for what you are trying to accomplish. For example, if you want to watch a movie in 1080p with DTS-HD audio, it's recommended to purchase the correct length 1.3 standard cable (do you really need the certified cable? probably not, but it's guaranteed to work)