Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leads

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Galway, Ireland
I currenty have a G4 power book.
I can get a new macbook pro through work with a bit of a discount.

Would it be worth spending the money to upgrade or should i stick with what i've got?

itgoesbuzz

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2005
royal oak, mi
Leads said:
I currenty have a G4 power book.
I can get a new macbook pro through work with a bit of a discount.

Would it be worth spending the money to upgrade or should i stick with what i've got?

does what you have now do what u need it to?

Leads

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Galway, Ireland
it's a pbook g4 1.5ghz 512mb

i mainly use it for the web and keeping myself organised. also use it for keeping photos and editing movies.

I could definitly make do with what i have, it's just i purchase all computer equipment for a large construction company and my suppliers give me a couple of bonuses throughout the year. I could get the macbook for around half price.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
If it's a 12-inch PowerBook, then go for the MacBook...if not, you should wait a little longer before you get a replacement- expecially if it does everything you need it to.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Leads said:
it's a pbook g4 1.5ghz 512mb

i mainly use it for the web and keeping myself organised. also use it for keeping photos and editing movies.

I could definitly make do with what i have, it's just i purchase all computer equipment for a large construction company and my suppliers give me a couple of bonuses throughout the year. I could get the macbook for around half price.

Half price? You can get a 1.83 MacBook Pro for $1000? If that is the case H.ELL YEAH you'd be nuts not to. Sell your PB on eBay for $1300 or so. You'll be making money and getting a faster machine.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I agree. I don't know what used powerbooks are going for right now, but if you could get the MacBookPro and turn a profit, I say go for it. I would.;)

Leads

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Galway, Ireland
Chupa Chupa said:
Half price? You can get a 1.83 MacBook Pro for $1000? If that is the case H.ELL YEAH you'd be nuts not to. Sell your PB on eBay for $1300 or so. You'll be making money and getting a faster machine.

u convinced me. cheers

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
I have a 1.5ghz 15" Powerbook...

If I was in your situation where I could get a new macbook for less than the selling price of my notebook, I would do it for sure! Possibly make money on upgrading? Are you kidding me?

However, if I didn't have the luxury of getting a new Macbook for 1/2 off, I'd stick with what I have, which is what I plan on doing. UNLESS... Any chance you could pass that discount along? ;) :D

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I'm in a similar position, in that I can get a MBP for about half price. I'm pretty close to going ahead with it, my reasoning being that if I sell my PB now, I can virtually upgrade for no cost (or maybe even make a little profit)

AJBMatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2006
Athens, Georgia
Now am I just sleeping with the wrong people here? I seriously got to get on this. Now, I need a list of company names. I am in pharmacy school so if any of them do anything like that I would be great. If not then I could be an over educated mail room clerk or something...Must have discount!

airkarol

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
I just sold my powerbook for $1525 on ebay, I'm going to get the Mac Book Pro, but I'll wait until rev. b. I sold the powerbook so I'd get more for it.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
airkarol said:
I just sold my powerbook for $1525 on ebay, I'm going to get the Mac Book Pro, but I'll wait until rev. b. I sold the powerbook so I'd get more for it.

Hmmm... so do you think now is the time for me to sell my powerbook (see sig) and buy a macbook before it totally looses it's value? If it's value drops significantly over the next few weeks, I'm probably going to be with this one for the long haul.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
crazydreaming said:
Hmmm... so do you think now is the time for me to sell my powerbook (see sig) and buy a macbook before it totally looses it's value? If it's value drops significantly over the next few weeks, I'm probably going to be with this one for the long haul.

If you are going to sell, sell now, 15inch powerbooks have been end-of-lifed. But you can still take advantage of the majority of people since most dont spend their time on mac forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.