Advice needed!

dezigNergy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
23
0
Hi all. I was planning on getting a DP 2ghz powermac but decided to wait till WWDC to buy one, by then i'll hopefully get a better powermac for cheaper. The thing is... i need a comp and currently looking for one to use until then. Which means i need one which is pretty fast and cheap so i'm thinking about getting an HP pc refurbished. Here is the one i want...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5174180804&fromMakeTrack=true

I was thinking about a mac but none will be good enough for the price i want it, so what do you think about this pc for using intensive 3d programs and photoshop? What are HP's like?

Thanks.

:)
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
2
Randy's House
dezigNergy said:
Hi all. I was planning on getting a DP 2ghz powermac but decided to wait till WWDC to buy one, by then i'll hopefully get a better powermac for cheaper. The thing is... i need a comp and currently looking
If you need the computer, buy it now. Why waste the money you might save buying a get-you-by machine?

:confused:
 
Comment

dezigNergy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
23
0
iGary said:
If you need the computer, buy it now. Why waste the money you might save buying a get-you-by machine?

:confused:
It's just that the updates for the powermac are turning out to be quite huge... and i don't want to buy it now because when they do come out with dual 3ghz/ dual core's i'll regret it. I just want your opinions on this comp just to get me along till then... How well do these machines do when using intensive 3d programs etc...

Thanks

:)
 
Comment

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
2
Randy's House
Well, your first post said that you wanted to wait for price drops, and now you're talking about top-end machines.

I'm trying to help you, but you don't seem to know what you want.

Do you want top-end machine? - buy a dual 2.5.

Do you want to save some bucks? - buy a dual 2.0.

Why waste your money on a makeshift machine when you need something now.

A dual 2.5, or dual 2.0 for that matter, would do anything you needed when properlly equipped..

The point of the matter is, if you need it now, buy one, if you don't wait.
 
Comment

dezigNergy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
23
0
iGary said:
Well, your first post said that you wanted to wait for price drops, and now you're talking about top-end machines.

I'm trying to help you, but you don't seem to know what you want.

Do you want top-end machine? - buy a dual 2.5.

Do you want to save some bucks? - buy a dual 2.0.

Why waste your money on a makeshift machine when you need something now.

A dual 2.5, or dual 2.0 for that matter, would do anything you needed when properlly equipped..

The point of the matter is, if you need it now, buy one, if you don't wait.
I will get one but the updates for these powermac are going to be very big, as i already said... which will result in me getting a better machine for the same price i would pay for the current 2ghz model. I dont want to pay the high price tag for this machine when it's at the end of it's update cycle. So, for the moment being i need a cheeper alternative. As i need a computer which will do what i want... i can't get a mac which will be fast enough for intense use for the low price i want to pay.... so i'm looking at this machine.

Hope this clarifies my situation.

Thanks for your time.

:)
 
Comment

dezigNergy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
23
0
Anyone? I know windows xp is crappy but i won't be using it for too long anyways. I just need to know if this is a good enough machine...

:)
 
Comment

YoYoMac

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2004
148
0
Chattanooga, TN
Let me tell you something. I was in your shoes just a few months ago. I was going to buy a PB 17" and I wanted to wait for the REV D. But I didn't have the time to wait, because I was in Thailand and I needed a friend to bring it to me from America before I went back to China. So, I settled for the REV C. I have no regrets (maybe except for the dual DVI, I wasn't expecting that.) I don't know how much power you need, and I'm not sure what "intensive 3d" programs means, but I think you'd be happy if you bought now. If you wait, they will just release a little bump in the summer because they aren't really ready or something like that.

My 2 Jao. (Chinese equivalent of cents.)
 
Comment

dezigNergy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
23
0
JzzTrump22 said:
Buy that one now, then when you buy your new PM, sell the pc.
Yes, that's what i want to do... but i just want to know how good this machine is. Would it be fast enough for what i want it to do? How good is the graphics card?

I under stand what your say YoYoMac, but i explained why i'd rather wait. It's just me.

Thanks for all your help guy!

:)
 
Comment

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
376
7
Nara, Japan
dezigNergy said:
The thing is... i need a comp and currently looking for one to use until then. Which means i need one which is pretty fast and cheap so i'm thinking about getting an HP pc refurbished. Here is the one i want...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5174180804&fromMakeTrack=true

I was thinking about a mac but none will be good enough for the price i want it, so what do you think about this pc for using intensive 3d programs and photoshop? What are HP's like?

Thanks.

:)
Wow, guy, come to a Mac site, it is Macrumours right? Then you ask about a PC, is that not another site? I for one, have no idea about a PC, so sorry.
I am sure someone can help, I think? One thing, I do not understand the wait part, but like you said, it's just you, anyway, Good Luck.

Brian
 
Comment

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I really don't think you'll find a good CHEAP p/c that will actually handle high end 3D. It's just a waste of money if you're going to be using
Apple HD software anyway.

If you really can't wait 3 months, then consider a mini or a 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook to use for portable needs, then prepare to spend another $2000-$3999 on a PowerMac suitable for your heavier needs.
 
Comment

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
246
0
Down Under
dezigNergy said:
I will get one but the updates for these powermac are going to be very big, as i already said... which will result in me getting a better machine for the same price i would pay for the current 2ghz model. I dont want to pay the high price tag for this machine when it's at the end of it's update cycle. So, for the moment being i need a cheeper alternative. As i need a computer which will do what i want... i can't get a mac which will be fast enough for intense use for the low price i want to pay.... so i'm looking at this machine.
just to throw in my 2 Australian cents. The updates might not be as big as you hope, in fact we've been waiting quite a bit for 3Ghz. now, assuming there will be an update and you MIGHT get the dual 2.5 for a bit less than what you might now pay for the dual 2Ghz. However:
1) the speed difference isn't all that huge between dual a 2.5Ghz and dual 2Ghz
2) the resale value of today's top-end pc hw goes down the niagara in just a few months.
3) Calculate the added cost of software that you'll have to buy, first for windows then for the mac.
4) you end up probably saving a lot of money by buying the mac right now!
5) plus you won't have to go through what? 3 months of windoze.

but to answer your question, the pc should run your apps fine. Maybe 2GB ram would do good if you have some hardcore 3D rendering.
A better option if you really chose to go down the pc path would be to build the pc yourself. often HP and Dell and their like will save on motherboard, ram and powersupply quality so your other computer parts will run slower than they could. also, i would personally go with an athlon 64.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.