Advice Needed

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MikeM87, Jul 15, 2011.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hey guys,

Just purchased a 2011 iMac very happy indeed. One thing i have noticed is that when i have left this on for long periods a couple of times nothing in excess of 10 hours when shutting down the iMac it has informed me that i need to restart the machine by holding down the power button. It has done this twice so far out of countless times may i add. Is this a big problem like windows BSOD?

Thanks for any input. Also one thing that seems to have solved itself was when turning the iMac on there was no volume, it was not muted the only way i could figure out how to get volume was to plug a pair of headphones in and this then had volume when i took them out. This seems to of stoped after doing software updates.

Thanks for any advice guys!
    iPhone 16gb 2010 :apple:

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

yes it does what does it mean?

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

As to the cause. Does it only happen when you power down the iMac?

5. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

ooo this does not sound good. Yeah its only happened twice i'll see if the problem persists i suppose if it does then i will have to take it back.

Anything which can cause this i have two external hard drives plugged in.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Before taking it back, the first thing I would do is boot off the OS X disks that came with your iMac, Click Utilities and Verify and Repair permissions. This may sort out your problem. If it doesn't then it may be worth reinstalling OS X (don't forget to back up your files).

In my experience Kernel panics are generally caused by software and not hardware issues.

You could post the 'dump' form the panic here. Navigate to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and paste the text into a post.

7. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Ok will do like i say i dont recieve it all the time i will try and leave it on as much as possible over the weekend and see if i get the problem.

Thanks for your help and i will post back with results later on :)