Advice needed.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Itsmorowind, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Itsmorowind macrumors member

At first I was going to buy an iphone 4 from (sigh) Wal-Mart for 147.00 dollars. After reading some topics I've decided that I'm going to want to wait for the Iphone 5. Well, the problem with that is I really want an Iphone... like now. So, could I buy an iphone 3g without paying the 2 yr. contract price through at&t and save my upgrade for when the iphone 5 comes out? I'm not sure how that works because I don't have at&t right now. Also, what would the price be for the 3g out of contract be? The only price I could find was 49.99...

Thanks in advance.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I believe it's $549 or $579, and the iPhone 4 is $649

3. Itsmorowind thread starter macrumors member

Well, if it's 549 then that plan just went to total ****.. haha. Guess i'll just have to stick with my blackberry curve with u.s. cellular until the iphone 5 comes out.. sigh.

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Dont you have high street stores in the US that sell used iphones.

I ask because in the Uk we do have such shops that buy phones off people, check that they are legit and in good working order.

They then sell the phone with a full 12 month warranty for much less than if bought brand new.

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

iphone 4 16GB is $599, 32GB is $699. 3GS prices are identical. 8GB 3G is $499, however, it looks like you can get one for about $300 on the gray market.

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You don't need to buy a 3Gs brand new. You can purchase a 3G for like $150-200 from Craigslist and either unlock or buy it unlocked and pop your SIM in it and use it until the iPhone 5 is released. :)

7. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

This, the 3g and 3gs are really cheap on Craigslist, I'd recommend just doing that until the 5 comes out. Or you could buy a used iPhone 4 for like $400-ish and then sell it at a slightly lower price once the 5 comes out, at probably a loss of like $100 at most.

8. Itsmorowind thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I'm kind of a noob with the terms. When you say "unlock it" does that just mean syncing it up to itunes and setting it up?

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

No. Unlocking is done with jailbreaking and installing Ultrasn0w, but depending on your baseband, the process might be slightly more complicated. You will need it unlocked because I remember you saying you were with "U.S. Cellular" ?

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

This. You'll need an unlocked iPhone if you're going to use it with U.S. Cellular, since they don't normally provide iPhones with service.

11. walie macrumors 6502a

did you really think you were able to get an iphone for 50 bucks with no contract?

12. Itsmorowind thread starter macrumors member

No, I just didn't think the 3g would be that much. I'll probably wait for the iphone 5.. sigh.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you don’t wait, you’ll have serious buyer remorse come September, which seems to be a pretty good bet for when the next iPhone comes out.