Advice needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Asmoday, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Asmoday macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I need a new laptop. As I'm invested in the Apple infrastructure with an Iphone and Ipad I find it a logical step to get a Mac. I hope you guys can help me out here.
    General use/needs:
    - Take notes, write thesis, general Uni stuff
    - Photo editing (big raw files)
    - Video editing (-30/60 mins long, not 4K per se)
    - Multiple tabs of all kinds of stuff
    - Future proof (5 years at least)
    - Need it now (Thesis)
    - Got 1TB of online storage

Main doubt is. Should I get a top spec rmbp with tb or is a cheaper model future proof enough for my use? Or could I even do with a top line rMB?
    I know we are mid cycle, but waiting for October is no option for me.

Again I hope you can help me find my way.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the entry level 15" MBP should be fine, though you may want to bump up the storage. I like the 15" model, because you get a better GPU (then the 13"), larger screen and quad core processors.

3. Asmoday thread starter macrumors member

You reckon the 15" entry model would be sufficient for my usage and still be snappy and up to the task in ~5 years? I really thought I needed better cpu+gpu for photo editing and video editing.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I cannot tell the future but I can say that the stock 2016 model is more then enough power for most tasks.

5. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

So, I think you should remove all notion from your mind of buying a machine that is future proof, especially as a piece of your purchase criteria. Even a top of the line gaming PC will likely have problems within 5 years handling the "latest and greatest".

If you're concerned about cost and future proofing, frankly, you're better off building your own photo editing PC.

I love my MacBook Pro, but it's not a 5-year sure bet.

6. Mindinversion, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017

Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

Ehhhh. . .with the way intel has been "innovating" CPU wise you'll probably get 4-5 years. Kaby lake is going to be a minor optimization, and Cannon lake is going to be another 14NM optimization.. so that's 2 years guaranteed. If the move to 10NM is as unspectacular as it has been since Sandy Bridge, you should be fine. GPU wise it's a different story, but unless you end up trying to edit 8k footage in a few years it SHOULDN'T be an issue. Of course with TB3 it's always possible for Apple to jump on the External GPU bandwagon at any time, so there's that potential as well.

Obviously I can't make any promises or guarantees, and who knows what will come down the pipe with AMD and Ryzen in the next year or two, but the 2016 MbP is as safe a bet as any notebook on the market right now.

7. Asmoday thread starter macrumors member

Thanks both for your reply. Much appreciated!

8. Altis macrumors 68020

For your video editing, quad-core CPU will be a massive boost.

The 15" makes the most sense as it's the only quad-core, has dGPU, and the extra screen real estate is handy.

Due to the law of diminishing returns and Apple's criminal upgrade prices, I'd recommend either than base 2016 or even the 2015 for even less dough, and then upgrade a bit sooner IF you find that you need to. The 2015 15" is still a very powerful laptop. Could spend part of the savings on an external monitor for getting work done at home.

You pay a ton for upgrades and get only a hair more on resale than you would on the base model.

Rule out the rMB entirely, too.

9. leman macrumors 604

Either a 13" or a 15" touch bar model would be more than sufficient for you. For photo editing, the 15" will most likely bring a noticeable boost. If you also want to play occasional games, go for a 15" with 460 Pro.

10. medulla macrumors regular

Any max budget in mind?

11. Asmoday thread starter macrumors member

Max budget, if I can keep the same laptop for at least 5 years, is €3000/3500.

12. medulla, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017

medulla macrumors regular

My 2012 lasted me EASILY till last week, could've lasted me longer too.
    Check on bhphoto or adorama and just get the one thats within your budget. I'm guessing why not the 2016 version, its such a great laptop.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._z0sh_mlh429_bh_macbook_pro_15_inch_with.html

This is the one I bought at $100 more than it is right now, just last week. Don't forget this laptop is under MSRP to begin with and its discounted right now, so best bang for your buck.

13. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

I'm with medulla. The base 2016 will absolutely be fine. However if you have additional budget, upgrade in those areas you think are important. Perhaps more storage and better GPU.

Please reserve some budget for a time machine disk or two.