Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2007
I would either like a Macbook or an iMac. I live in the UK, have access to an education discount and have a budget of £1,000. I'd like to know what the best possible computer I could get i.e. what upgrades it has etc.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
I would either like a Macbook or an iMac. I live in the UK, have access to an education discount and have a budget of £1,000. I'd like to know what the best possible computer I could get i.e. what upgrades it has etc.

Well first, do you want something portable or not? There's pros and cons to both, but you need to decide first I think.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
If you get the Edu discount, then you're probably a student. If this is the case, go for the portability of the MacBook. It will serve you better over your studies.

But then, you also have stated your needs. Do you need the capabilities of a desktop unit, and the extra screen real estate that comes with?

Dynamyk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2005
Toronto
As a student a laptop is very very handy. Whether you want to bring it to group project meetings, or just the in the library, it's quite handy to have :)

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Macbook vs iMac? I think this decision comes down to two things...
  1. Do you need to have you computer somewhere other than your desk?
  2. Do you need lots of storage space?

If you won't be traveling with your computer and you do need more storage space, you'll want the iMac. If you need to travel, and storage isn't an issue, roll with the Macbook. If you need travel AND you need storage space, well, I'd go with the Macbook and get a smaller external drive that you can carry with you (and one that's bus-powered so you don't need an external PS for the drive).

Just my $0.02.

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
Basically, what everyone else has said is about right. The computers themselves aren't that far off; you get portability with the MacBook, and a bigger hard drive with the iMac (along with a larger screen).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.