advice needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SeVeN, Aug 26, 2007.

1. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

i am updating a schools fleet of iMac 333's, they want them to have at least 256 megs of ram and running panther. there are about 45 iMacs to update, and i have found some good prices at OWC but i was wondering if any of you know some other good places to check. they also want to replace the puck mice with pro mice (the black ones) which might be hard because they dont make them anymore of course.

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Check Newegg for the RAM.

I wouldn't know where to start looking for that quantity of discontinued mice. I would ask them if they have a really really good reason for getting that particular one.

3. SeVeN thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, the kids keep taking the track balls out of the mice. its an elementry/middle school

4. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Umm i am an apple fan with the best of them... by can't they just replace them with any optical usb mouse? Doesn't have to be an apple one....

5. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Yeah, I'd second that comment. There's a LOT of options out there for relatively dirt-cheap optical mice. You might want to just do a PriceGrabber or MySimon search, or even go to TigerDirect or wherever. And if you're running Panther on those computers, then the fact that all of these mice have two buttons will be a non-issue for support, since Mac OS X by default has always supported two buttons (and the scroll-wheel).

Just be mindful that if they're being used on certain kinds of surfaces, "optical" mice don't track very well. Such surfaces include wood grain and certain kinds of smooth or textured light-colored plastic surfaces. The easiest solution to this would be to get a cache of mouse pads. You might try DriveSavers.com or some of the other companies out there who give away these things as advertising promos and see if they'd consider donating these pads to your school as an advertising opportunity.

6. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

chances are the school is full of mousepads if they were still using ball mice. But yes... i concure with all above comments :)

7. SeVeN thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah im not too worried about the mice as i am getting 45 chips of ram.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Actually, don't. Your chances of getting compatible PC66 SODIMMs at NewEgg for a trayloader iMac are slim to none.

OWC is a good source, so is Data Memory Systems.

9. SeVeN thread starter macrumors 6502a