advice needed

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by iCeltic, May 7, 2010.

1. iCeltic macrumors newbie

Hello and good day:

For a long time I loved to learn how to program, but recently I took the plunge and started taken classes in a nearby school, because I believe to learn something right you will need a teacher.
    I finished my first year and we learn a little C as an introduction to programming, basics of Java, Database and web design.The problem is I found most of their curriculum is in a practical direction, with less theory. I am a Laboratory Technologist and most of my work is practical, but all that theory we studied in the university and we hated it , it came very handy in the real life and helped me a lot to solve some work related problems. I know programming is practical but it's important to me to learn the theory behind it and learn how to THINK to program.

So, can you direct me toward some resources to help me in that matter ( Think how to program, how to approach and solve the programming problems, and most important how to transform an idea to a working application). perhaps I am a little in hurry here, I am planning to continue to finish all 3 Years in this school, and may well study some of this things in the future but from what I saw it doesn't seems we are going to get a lot of it.

Another advise needed, in second year, I have a choice between C# and .NET or Java, what you think it's better and will help me when I start learn mac programming by my self since there is no mac related topics in our school ( bought the recommended books, start next week).

Any other tips are appreciated

Sorry for any grammar/spelling mistake, english isn't my native language.

Edit:
    Generally, I want to better understand programming concept and idea.

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Most comprehensive programming books will give you all the theory and advice on how to program. Ultimately you will develop your own style though.

But if you just want ideas on how to problem solve there are many books, just search "Problem solving with XYZ".

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...field-keywords=problem+solving+with+C&x=0&y=0

Neither would really contribute to Mac Programming. I would personally recommend C# though as it is a simple language to learn that has a nice API.

3. iCeltic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the links
    When I started C I bought K&R, but found it to be little rough, so I start with absolute beginner guide to C and it work well as starter. as for other book, is there is different approach with each language ( meaning each language has it's own problem solving method) or there is a common ground all work with. it still little hazy for me.

4. iCeltic thread starter macrumors newbie

Found some books at amazon, the problem is I don't know what could be more suitable for my need, considering my level of knowledge.

5. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The problem solving books are just people walking you through different real-world problems. It is just using XYZ language.

I would get confident with a programming language first before going through problem solving books.

6. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

7. iCeltic thread starter macrumors newbie