Advice: New Airport or Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kirbyrun, Jan 20, 2014.

1. kirbyrun macrumors member

Hi, there!

Wondering if I can pick the minds of my fellow MacRumors readers on some upgrading I’d like to do…

I’m currently running an old (2007-era) Airport Extreme as my router. It’s wired directly to my iMac and runs wirelessly for my Xbox, Apple TV, my wife’s MacBook Air, our iOS devices, etc.

I’ve been having some dropout on wifi lately (especially when AirPlaying to my Samsung speakers), and I’ve been thinking it might be time to upgrade the router.

I’d like to kill two birds with one stone, though.

Currently, my wife and I back up to a cloud service, but we also each have Time Machine volumes in the house. I back up directly to a Firewire-attached drive and she backs up to an old Mac mini (which is connected by ethernet cable to the router). The Mac mini also hosts her iTunes library.

So… With all that out of the way, here’s my dilemma: I want to upgrade the router, but I’m wondering if I should also upgrade our local back-up strategy at the same time. I see two options:

1. Upgrade to a Time Capsule big enough to hold both of our Time Machine backups. This means I can get rid of my Firewire drive. I’ll still need the Mac mini hooked up for her iTunes library, though.
    2. Upgrade to a new Airport, but leave the rest of the stuff alone. This is cheaper. And down the line, I could pick up a Seagate Central NAS which could hold our Time Machine backups AND her iTunes library, as well as backup her Facebook photos for her. Bonus: It frees up the Mac mini for me to turn it into an HTPC.

Any insights or advice? Just wondering if one of these strategies is demonstrably better or worse than the other, or if there’s anything I haven’t thought of.

2. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I've heard stories about the time capsules failing too soon.

Also, I have an airport extreme and it stays very warm all the time. I would be hesitant to have a HDD exposed to constant heat.

My backup drives are stored safely and used when only when I need to backup.

3. dazed macrumors 6502a

I just bought a refurbished time capsule from apple. So far it's great and the backups are surprisingly fast.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I love my TC. A simple all in one solution. I'd say go for it.